BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The explosion at a home in West Boca Raton several days ago is being blamed on hash oil — possibly the first explosion caused by this in Florida.
From Palm Beach County Fire Rescue:
The Palm Beach County Bomb/Arson Task Force has completed the investigation into the explosion, which occurred at 22195 S.W. 62nd Ave in unincorporated Boca Raton, FL on May 6th, 2014. The explosion occurred as a result from the hash oil extraction process from marijuana with the use of butane fuel. The butane fuel is commonly used in the extraction process. The butane fuel and marijuana mixture was placed inside the freezer in the kitchen. The vapors of butane fuel are extremely flammable. The vapors from the butane fuel filled the interior of the freezer and refrigerator and began to exit the refrigerator. The specific gravity of butane fuel is 2.0 (greater than air), which caused the vapors to sink towards the floor. The refrigerator was plugged in and operating at the time of the explosion. The cycling of the refrigerator caused a spark or arc that ignited the butane vapors, which caused the explosion. No one was injured in the explosion and a dog was removed by PBC Animal Care and Control. Several media reports from around the country indicate that this is a common occurrence and the extraction process should be conducted in a well ventilated place. However, this is believed to be the first reported incident in the State of Florida. A suspect has been identified and arrested on 1 count of First Degree Arson of an occupied dwelling.