BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The Maccabi Games are coming to Boca Raton and aside from welcoming nearly 1000 participants to the Boca Raton area, the games provide an opportunity for community involvement.
From the JCC:
It has been 14 years since the JCC Maccabi Games® were last hosted in Boca Raton and the South Florida community is once again being counted on for support. With over 750 Jewish teen athletes coming from across the United States as well as several other countries, including Mexico, Panama and Israel, and another 200 representing the Levis JCC’s Mitchell Dobbin Maccabi (local) team, the event is an enormous undertaking for the JCC Maccabi Games®, Adolph & Rose Levis Jewish Community Center in Boca Raton, and all participants. To help with organizing, coordination and facilitating the Games, more than one-thousand volunteers are needed, and an additional 400 host families are still in need to house visiting athletes.
“We are incredibly honored to have been chosen to host the 2014 JCC Maccabi Games®, and we are beyond excited to share the entire Games experience with the South Florida and Boca Raton community,” said Randy Colman, Executive Director of the Levis JCC. “It has been more than a decade since Boca Raton last hosted the Games and all of the Jewish teen athletes from cities across our country and around the world. We hope everyone in our community will share in the excitement by serving as a host family or a volunteer!”
The JCC Maccabi Games® will take place in Boca Raton from Sunday, August 10 to Friday, August 15, 2014. To register, sign-up and/or learn more, please visitwww.jccmaccabigames.org/registration.
Details and requirements on becoming a volunteer and/or hose family are as follows:
Be a Volunteer
- One-thousand volunteers ages 18 (21 for evening activities) or over are needed to work with professional staff of JCC Maccabi Games® in planning and facilitating Games.
- Opportunities are diverse and endless in terms of type of activity, expertise, location/facility, time commitment, etc.
- Specific tasks and needs include: greeting hotel visitors, keeping score at games, delivering water and ice, serving as doctors and nurses, and performing dozens of other jobs.
- No religious affiliation or self-identification is required for volunteers.
Be a Host Family
- Approximately 400 local Jewish host families are needed the week of August 10-15, 2014 to make visiting athletes feel at home.
- Host families provide housing for at least two visiting athletes, as well as breakfast daily and two dinners, transportation (morning drop-off and evening pick-up), daily access to laundry facilities, and a fun evening on Host Family Night (Tuesday, August 12).
About the JCC Maccabi Games®
JCC Maccabi Games® kicked off in 1982 with a big mission. It was designed in order to: provide Jewish youth with a supportive environment that fosters mutual respect and sportsmanship, where they can interact in an atmosphere of fun, democracy, and peace; cultivate a deeper understanding and instill an appreciation of Jewish values within Jewish youth, enrich their Jewish identity in an informal setting, and encourage their identification with the state of Israel; promote and encourage the health, physical fitness and well-being of Jewish youth through participation in recreational and athletic activities; and introduce Jewish youth to the international Maccabi Movement, which presents athletic, cultural, and social opportunities with Jews from around the world. Learn more at www.bocamaccabi.org.
BocaNewsNow.com is the leading site for news and information based in Boca Raton, Florida. We have surpassed three million page views.
We remind readers that an arrest is an accusation. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law. Please email us at news(at)bocanewsnow.com if the facts of a news story involving you have changed. This is not a mugshot website. While under no obligation to do so, we will effort to update arrest reports when provided with official information by the arrestee.
Note that ip addresses are logged and may be shared with law enforcement in unique situations.
For advertising information or to submit news tips, please email news(at)BocaNewsNow.com. BocaNewsNow(TM) is a Trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. The name may not be used without written permission.