UPDATED@ November 7, 2013. Click here for details on arrest of Drew Blazure, information from Van Orden autopsy provided to public by police.
UPDATED@ 9:56pm Tuesday, August 27, with confirmation that driver is student at FAU.
UPDATED @ 1:43pm Tuesday, August 27, with information on driver.
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The bicyclist struck and killed by a motorist early Saturday had a lengthy court and criminal record, including three DUI convictions. Timothy Van Orden was in the midst of a ten year driver’s license suspension when he was struck around 2:35 am Saturday while he rode his bicycle on Federal Highway.
Court records confirm what tipsters told BocaNewsNow.com after we reported his death. Van Orden, 41, spent considerable time in the Palm Beach County Jail and was in and out of trouble with the law for more than a decade. Charges against him ranged from drug possession to battery. Many of the allegations were not prosecuted by the Palm Beach State Attorney’s Office, although the third DUI conviction landed him with a 30 day jail sentence and the ten year license suspension.
Van Orden was pronounced dead at the scene in the 6700 block of North Federal Highway.
Van Orden was allegedly struck by Drew Blazure, a former intern for U.S. Representative Leonard Lance (NJ 7th). Florid Atlantic University tells BocaNewsNow.com that he is in a doctorate program at the school.
It traditionally takes several months for the medical examiner to determine — and release — whether alcohol was a factor for either or both people involved in the accident. Traffic homicide investigations — if this is determined to be a “homicide” — traditionally take several months to a year in Palm Beach County.
The Boca Raton Police Department continues its accident investigation. Anyone who witnessed the crash is asked to call police.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- FLORIDA COVID: Ventilator Use Rises As Hospitalizations Fall
- SEEMAN HOLTZ: As Fraud Investigation Continues, Court Assigns Monitor
- Boca Raton Man Charged With DUI, Resisting, Fleeing, More
- HURRICANE CENTER: Three Systems Forming East Of Florida Thursday
- WEST BOCA HIGH TEACHER REINSTATED AFTER IMAGE CONTROVERSY
- UPDATE: Seven Bridges Homeowner Turned Off WiFi To Prevent 911 Call After Battery
- FLORIDA: COVID Deaths Back Into 200s For Tuesday
- COVID: 5,000 CASES IN PALM BEACH COUNTY SCHOOLS
- HURRICANE CENTER: 90 Percent Chance System Forms East Of Florida