UPDATED: 10:36 am with full arrest report which includes partial autopsy report for victim.
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Drew Blazure, the 24 year old driver and FAU student who slammed into bicyclist Timothy Van Orden in an early morning accident in August has been charged in his death.
Blazure’s blood alcohol content was nearly three times the legal limit of .08 three hours after the accident. Van Orden’s blood alcohol content, according to police, was .048 — he had cocaine and other drugs in his system. Read the complete police report here.
Blazure is in the Palm Beach County Jail, officially facing charges of negligent DUI homicide and hit and run — failing to remain at the scene of a fatal accident.
Blazure, witnesses say, slammed into Van Orden who was riding his bike at 2:30 in the morning on Federal Highway in Boca Raton. Blazure was later found at an area gas station.
Police say he said, among other things, “what the f— am I doing with my life?”
As we first reported, Van Orden’s license was suspended due to prior DUI convictions. It is unclear where he was riding in the early morning hours of August 24th. An autopsy referenced in the police report revealed that Van Orden had, “amphetamines, benzodiazepines, buprenorphine, cannabinoids, and cocaine metabolite in his system.”
Controversy ensued following the accident with claims that the Boca Raton Police Department was not arresting Blazure due to his congressional internship several years ago. Police reiterated that a fatal DUI accident investigation can take up to a year in Palm Beach County.
Read the entire affidavit of probable cause for Blazure’s arrest byclicking here.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- PALM BEACH COUNTY: Parents Fear Masked Kids Will Be Bullied In School
- Boca Raton Man Claims 800-Pack-Rat Sold His Stuff When Credit Card Expired
- Florida Teachers Slam DeSantis, Call On Him To Listen To Medical Professionals
- BREAKING: Palm Beach County Reinstates Mandatory Masking In Public Buildings
- SCARED SCHOOL BOARD: We Obtain Private Email From Member Fearing Gov. DeSantis
- Area Veterinarian Pleads Guilty To Taping Self Being Intimate With Dog
- Fire, Identify, Publicly Ridicule Unvaccinated: Here’s What Florida Readers Are Saying
- FUNERAL HOME ERROR: Lists Boca Raton Man As Single, Was Actually Married
- PALM BEACH COUNTY: COVID Positivity Soars To 16.4 Percent