BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — It has happened again. Police are investigating the “skimming” of ATM cards used at Publix “presto” machine in east Boca.
Direct from Boca PD:
Boca Raton Police Services Department detectives are investigating multiple thefts from ATM’s via “skimming” devices. The incidents occurred at the Presto ATM’s at Publix Supermarkets located at 1968 NE 5th Avenue and 7431 North Federal Highway.
The investigation began after the Loss Prevention Specialist at the Publix at 1968 NE 5th Avenue called and advised she observed a skimming device on the ATM. After reviewing the surveillance video, the responding officer noted at least four occasions over a one-week period when an individual goes to the ATM between 1:00 am and 3:00 am, and looked as though he was placing a card reader on the ATM.
To date, the Boca Raton Police Services Department has received five reports from victims who had money skimmed from their bank accounts after using one of the two ATM’s in question. The suspect is described as a white male, 30 years of age, dark short hair, wearing a gray hoodie, cargo shorts and a red Texas A&M hat. Detectives request that any possible victims or anyone with information about these cases call the Economic Crimes Unit at 338-1324 or Crime Stoppers at 800-458-TIPS.
The Boca Raton Police Crime Prevention Unit encourages ATM users to scan the machines before use to check for unfamiliar components or additions. Criminals attach small cameras that record your pin number and use the encoded information on your card to access your account. Choose an ATM inside a well-lit area and if something doesn’t look right with the ATM or if the keypad doesn’t feel securely attached, stop your transaction and inform the store or bank immediately.
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Senator Marco Rubio Talks TikTok, FAU With Andrew Colton on NewsRadio 610 WIOD
- WHOSE BODY WAS IN BURNING CAR? BROWARD COPS ASKING FOR TIPS
- GO OWLS! FAU’s Student Affairs VP Joins Andrew Colton On NewsRadio 610 WIOD
- Broward Crash Backs Up Traffic Into Boca Raton
- Rocco’s Tacos Delray Beach Ordered Closed By Health Inspector
- SECURITY ALERT: Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport Evacuated
- HAMMER TIME: Boca Raton Woman Allegedly Hits Husband On Head With Hammer
- Body Found On Side Of Palm Beach County Road, FHP Asks For Tips
- Body Found In North Broward Burning Car