BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Deputy who shot and killed Matthew Pollow Wednesday night may have very well feared for his life — and a quick search of “screw driver attacks” shows he had good reason.
A suspect attacking others — including police — with a screwdriver is in increasingly common occurrence. In North Carolina, an 18-year-old man was shot and killed by police after he lunged at an officer with a screwdriver. The January incident led to the revelation that Keith Vidal — the teenager — was schizophrenic.
In a widely viewed video, a woman in Oregon attacks police — and a police car — with a screwdriver. This is caught on camera:
In Seattle, 30-year-old Tyler Lewis is accused of killing his own mother with a screwdriver.
In New York, two teens are accused of attacking a subway rider with a screwdriver. And in Columbus, GA, Christopher Nichols charged with battery after “thrusting” a screwdriver at his girlfriend, police say.
In the West Boca Raton incident, PBSO provided the following account:
The Deputy saw that the subject had a very disturbed look on his face which caused him to draw his firearm. The Deputy then ordered the subject to place everything in his pocket on to the hood of the vehicle. The subject placed several items on the hood including a screw driver. The Deputy ordered the subject to walk towards him to speak to him, the subject picked up the screwdriver and charged after the Deputy. The Deputy was in fear of being stabbed and feared for his life created some distance between he and the subject and fired his weapon striking the subject.
The Deputy, who we expect to be identified later today, is now on paid administrative leave.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- DeSantis Again Declares Victory Over CDC Cruise Restrictions
- HURRICANE CENTER: Tropical Depression Likely To Form Within Days Near Florida
- Boca Raton Woman Drives Without Tire, FaceTimes During DUI Stop
- Fort Lauderdale Airport Again At Capacity, Off-Site Parking Opens
- FLORIDA COVID DISASTER: CDC Reveals 12K New Cases Wednesday, 60K In Week
- HURRICANE CENTER: System Drifting, Formation Chance Increases
- Boynton Beach Police To Shut Major Road For Investigation
- Boca Raton Man Charged With Driving During Zoom Court Hearing
- Florida’s Turnpike Remains Closed, Tractor Trailer Into Canal In Boynton Beach