BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Patrick Barry, a Boca Raton resident, is being locked up this afternoon following his arrest for shooting a pit bull in his neighborhood. Ed Note: BocaNewsNow.com recommended Barry’s animal control business last year and used his services several weeks ago. We had no idea that a charge like this was pending.
From Boca PD:
On May 7, 2014 Boca Raton Police Officers responded to an animal complaint at 901 NE 2nd Terrance. Officers met with Patrick Barry who lives next door. Barry told officers he was walking his American Bulldog when his neighbor’s pit bull, Alize, charged them. Barry told officers he was in fear so he pulled out the .38 revolver he was carrying and shot the dog. Barry has a valid Carrying Concealed Weapon (CCW) permit. The owner of the pit bull, Jennifer Burga, was in the house and did not see what happened.
Palm Beach County Animal Care and Control (PBACC) officers responded and spoke with Barry and Burga. PBACC examined Alize and saw she was shot on the underside of the tail near the dog’s body. Burga brought Alize to a veterinarian for treatment.
Boca Raton Police detectives made contact with several witnesses who saw Barry walk alone from his home to Burga’s home and shoot Alize as she was lying down in Burga’s yard. Both witnesses said Barry did not have his dog with him and Alize never made any aggressive movements towards him. Neither saw a gun, but heard the gunshot.
Detectives contacted the veterinarian who treated Alize. The vet said Alize was shot on the underside of the tail, and she believed the dog was shot while it was lying down or walking away. Detectives spoke with Barry on the phone but he refused to meet in person.
Based on the findings of the investigation, detectives charged Barry with felony cruelty to animals, filing a false report of a crime, and discharging a firearm in public. Barry was arrested on July 8 without incident.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- West Boca Man, Charged With Stalking, Says “Current Marriage Is A Joke”
- DEADLY DECISION? Phase Three Happening, Palm Beach County Masking Continues, Other Orders Lifting
- DESANTIS: PHASE 3 NOW STATEWIDE, LOCAL RULES LARGELY DON’T MATTER
- CODE ENFORCEMENT: We Have Every COVID-19 Inspection In Boca Raton, Read The Reports
- Palm Beach County Says Bars Can Open Sooner Than Expected
- Boca Raton’s Jill Davis Charged With DUI, Nearly Three Times Legal Limit
- Boca Raton’s Timothy Werner Refuses DUI Test, Jailed
- Boca Raton’s Moise Gadoury Jailed, Didn’t Register As Sex Offender
- NUMBER GAMES? COVID-19 Deaths High In Florida As DOH Says Positivity Low