BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Media Advisory) — Florida Atlantic University’s Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters will host Arts Day 2014 on Saturday, Nov. 15 from 1 to 4 p.m. in the Schmidt Arts Center, 777 Glades Road, Boca Raton campus. Arts Day 2014 complements the University’s Admissions Open House which also will take place that morning. A variety of activities will provide an in-depth look into the diversity of art programs and degrees within the College of Arts and Letters. The event is free and open to the public.
Arts Day welcomes prospective high school students, their families, teachers, school administrators and the general public to spend an afternoon on the Boca Raton campus exploring the exciting options available. Highlights include 30-minute, student led-tours of the music, theater, dance, visual arts, and University Galleries’ facilities. Other highlights of the afternoon include:
· 1 to 1:30 p.m.: The ¡Cantemos! Singers, a Latin American choral ensemble, will perform a wide repertoire of choral music from the Caribbean and Latin America outside the Performing Arts Gallery.
· 1 to 3 p.m.: The Commercial Music studios will be open with students on hand to demonstrate equipment.
· 2 p.m.: The ensemble Leonid Treer & Friends will perform music from their concert “Roots of Classical Music Part 1.”
· 1 p.m.: The Department of Theatre will offer a backstage tour of Studio One before the night’s performance of Steve Martin’s “Picasso at the Lapin Agile.”
· 1 to 2 p.m.: The “Pulse Dance Troupe” will be rehearsing for their next production in the Dance Studio.
· 1 to 4 p.m.: Staff and students from the University Galleries will be on hand to give brief overviews of their experiences in working at the galleries. In the visual arts studios,current graduate and undergraduate students, along with faculty, will be on hand in the sculpture, painting, printmaking, drawing, ceramics and photography areas.
The Schmidt Center Public Space will be part of the tours and will be open during the event. Currently, two installations occupy the space: Miami-based sound artist Gustavo Matamoros sound scape “Bats & Insects” and Penelope Umbrico’s photo-based installation that includes more than 4,000 appropriated images of sunsets from Flickr. At the Schmidt Center Gallery, an in-progress contemporary photography installation will be on view.
Arts Day offers an opportunity to tour facilities, watch students and staff install an exhibition, go backstage, listen and see rehearsals occurring in music and dance, and much more.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- POLICE: Boca Raton Man Claimed Girlfriend Had Knife, Pills, So Batters Her To Save Her
- FAU Henderson University School Ranked Second In USA For K-5
- Woman Slips On Pool Deck, Sues Boca’s Broken Sound Country Club
- HURRICANE CENTER: Keep An Eye On Growing System East Of Florida
- FEDS: Local Man, “Dandy Daddy,” Sentenced To Eight Years In Prison
- Flanigan’s Boca Raton Cited For Flying Insects
- GAS LEAK: Airport Road In Boca Raton Closed
- STRAIGHT OUTTA KINGS POINT: Stalking, Murder Threat Charges Filed
- COVID Cases Rise In Palm Beach County School District