BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — We’ve always liked Nick’s New Haven Pizza, and wrote a glowing review when the restaurant opened back in 2012. But we wonder if the shine is starting to tarnish at Nick’s.
Take, for example, an experience today. We ordered takeout and went — as one would likely expect — to the back door with a window marked “Take Out” in gigantic letters. We’re smart like that. If a huge window says “Nick’s Take Out” and we’re taking out from Nick’s, “Nick’s Take Out” seems to be the place to go.
But the manager — or someone who sure seemed to be a manager — actually admonished us for going to the door, stating that this is only for certain days of the week.
We thought he was kidding — perhaps it was a Sesame Street skit where Grover would be teaching us the days of the week — but then he pointed to the completely faded words on the door that, in fact, may at one time have said “Thursday to Sunday.”
Today being Tuesday would suggest that the door wouldn’t work. The manager — instead of just getting the food — being cooked four feet away — said we had to go to the front of the restaurant to pick it up. This is the other side of the parking lot. No biggie, but in the words of C&C Music Factory, a “Thing That Makes You Go Hmmmm.” We did, and met one worker who said he’d check on the food but couldn’t actually deliver it, and then we were instructed to go to the bar where a bartender by the name of Nicolette was very busy opening bottles of beer and seemed a little less enthusiastic to run a credit card. (Beer drinking is alive and well in Boca at noon).
The food: fine… although not as good as it has been in the past.
The bottom line: none of this suggests Nick’s is in danger of closing, but it certainly suggests a lack of attention to detail and a customer service issue that hasn’t existed in the past. We hope that as Nick’s New Haven enters its third year, restaurant management gets it together, remembers to put the customer first and — in all seriousness — puts up some signage that can actually be read if the restaurant insists on a bizarre “pick up takeout food here on certain days of the week, and go there on other days.”
We’ll follow up.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- DEADLY DECISION? Phase Three Happening, Palm Beach County Masking Continues, Other Orders Lifting
- DESANTIS: PHASE 3 NOW STATEWIDE, LOCAL RULES LARGELY DON’T MATTER
- CODE ENFORCEMENT: We Have Every COVID-19 Inspection In Boca Raton, Read The Reports
- Palm Beach County Says Bars Can Open Sooner Than Expected
- Boca Raton’s Jill Davis Charged With DUI, Nearly Three Times Legal Limit
- Boca Raton’s Timothy Werner Refuses DUI Test, Jailed
- Boca Raton’s Moise Gadoury Jailed, Didn’t Register As Sex Offender
- NUMBER GAMES? COVID-19 Deaths High In Florida As DOH Says Positivity Low
- COVID-19 INFECTION: Boynton Elementary Student First In School District To Test Positive