BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — A brazen act of idiocy by a Boca Raton nurse has landed her in jail after she allegedly admitted to stealing a credit card from a woman in her care.
Shirley Ortiz, 39, of Lake Worth was working for “Nurses of America” — a Boca company — when she told police that she stole a credit card from her patient to pay for the cell phone that she claims the patient also purchased for her.
From the police report:
“She stated it was because (the patient) bought her a cell phone. Ortiz stated she knew that she should not have taken the phone but stated that she was unable to pay for the phone.” When I asked her why she let (the patient) purchase the phone for her, Ortiz stated, “She buys me things all the time, she says it is okay.”
I asked her why she thought it was okay. Ortiz stated, “she is not bad, she only has a little dementia from from a head trauma she suffered. I know I should not let her buy me things.”
Ortiz was booked into the Palm Beach County Jail on a charge of elderly neglect and abuse. She was released on $3,000 bond.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- PALM BEACH COUNTY: Reckless Endangerment Charges For Non-Mask Wearers?
- South Florida Attorney Charged By Feds For Wire, Securities Fraud
- COVID SURGE FLORIDA: 3259 New Cases, 106 New Deaths, Positivity Heading Up
- BIG JUMP: Now 22 COVID Infections In Palm Beach County Schools
- Boca Raton Man Jailed On Aggravated Assault With Deadly Weapon Charge
- COVID-19: Boca, Delray Restaurant Horror Stories As CDC Says Eating Inside Is Bad Idea
- COVID-19 Reported In Boca Middle, Spanish River High, West Boca High
- Police Cam Captures Takedown Of Former Campaign Official
- Masks Still Required In Palm Beach County Schools