BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — A brazen act of idiocy by a Boca Raton nurse has landed her in jail after she allegedly admitted to stealing a credit card from a woman in her care.
Shirley Ortiz, 39, of Lake Worth was working for “Nurses of America” — a Boca company — when she told police that she stole a credit card from her patient to pay for the cell phone that she claims the patient also purchased for her.
From the police report:
“She stated it was because (the patient) bought her a cell phone. Ortiz stated she knew that she should not have taken the phone but stated that she was unable to pay for the phone.” When I asked her why she let (the patient) purchase the phone for her, Ortiz stated, “She buys me things all the time, she says it is okay.”
I asked her why she thought it was okay. Ortiz stated, “she is not bad, she only has a little dementia from from a head trauma she suffered. I know I should not let her buy me things.”
Ortiz was booked into the Palm Beach County Jail on a charge of elderly neglect and abuse. She was released on $3,000 bond.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Glades Road Entrance, Exit Closed All Weekend For Turnpike
- Boca Raton Man Arrested Six Times, Now For DUI
- Parkland Man Shot, Killed By Police Identified
- Delray Marketplace Restaurant Shut By State, Mass Violations
- Area Teen Faces 11 Charges In Boca Raton, Bond Nearly $20K
- Mask Mandate Extended In Palm Beach County As COVID Spread Continues
- FLORIDA COVID: Infections Increase Again, Positivity Pulls Back Slightly
- Police Dispatcher Arrested For Misconduct
- Local Man Sentenced For Universal Studios Fraud