BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — A brazen act of idiocy by a Boca Raton nurse has landed her in jail after she allegedly admitted to stealing a credit card from a woman in her care.
Shirley Ortiz, 39, of Lake Worth was working for “Nurses of America” — a Boca company — when she told police that she stole a credit card from her patient to pay for the cell phone that she claims the patient also purchased for her.
From the police report:
“She stated it was because (the patient) bought her a cell phone. Ortiz stated she knew that she should not have taken the phone but stated that she was unable to pay for the phone.” When I asked her why she let (the patient) purchase the phone for her, Ortiz stated, “She buys me things all the time, she says it is okay.”
I asked her why she thought it was okay. Ortiz stated, “she is not bad, she only has a little dementia from from a head trauma she suffered. I know I should not let her buy me things.”
Ortiz was booked into the Palm Beach County Jail on a charge of elderly neglect and abuse. She was released on $3,000 bond.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Lotus Boca Raton Homeowner Sued For Spreading Rumors About Neighbor
- Palm Beach County COVID Hospitalizations Jump
- FLORIDA: Tropical Depression Now Likely To Form
- DeSantis Again Declares Victory Over CDC Cruise Restrictions
- HURRICANE CENTER: Tropical Depression Likely To Form Within Days Near Florida
- Boca Raton Woman Drives Without Tire, FaceTimes During DUI Stop
- Fort Lauderdale Airport Again At Capacity, Off-Site Parking Opens
- FLORIDA COVID DISASTER: CDC Reveals 12K New Cases Wednesday, 60K In Week
- HURRICANE CENTER: System Drifting, Formation Chance Increases