MIAMI, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Media Release From DOJ) — A Holland America cruise line crew member was sentenced to 30 years and five months’ imprisonment, to be followed by a lifetime of supervised release, for his brutal attack and attempted murder of a female passenger.
Wifredo A. Ferrer, United States Attorney for the Southern District of Florida, George L. Piro, Special Agent in Charge, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Miami Field Office, made the announcement.
On February 14, 2014, Ketut Pujayasa, 29, Indonesian national, brutally attacked a female passenger, CLW, 32, United States citizen. During the attack, Pujayasa, choked, strangled, and beat the victim repeated with various objects. CLW continually attempted to scream for help and resist the violent attack but Pujayasa was relentless with his assault and attempts to silence her. Pujayasa strangled CLW with several items including a telephone cord and the cord to her curling iron.
The attack continued onto the stateroom’s balcony. While on the balcony, Pujayasa attempted to throw CLW overboard. The violent encounter then proceeded back to the interior of the state room where the violent assault continued. Pujayasa rendered CLW unconscious at least once during the attack, at which time he sexually assaulted her. CLW was eventually able to flee her stateroom and run down the corridor until she encountered an unknown passenger who rendered aid.
On September 29, 2014, Pujayasa pled guilty to the attack. He is expected to be deported after serving his sentence.
Mr. Ferrer commended the FBI for its investigation of this matter and thanked the Broward Sheriff’s Office and U.S. Customs and Border Protection for their assistance. The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Francis Viamontes and Cathy Koontz.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- BUILDING COLLAPSE: List Of Everyone Who Owns In Champlain Towers
- Man Critically Injured At Boca Raton Wyndham Hotel, Sues
- MIAMI BEACH CONDO COLLAPSE: Rumors Spreading, Officials Say “Stop”
- National Hurricane Center: Tropical Depression Likely To Form
- I-95 In Boca Raton To Close Overnight Tonight
- Second DUI Arrest In Three Months For Boca’s Brooklyn Berman
- UPDATE: Boca Raton Police Respond To Shooting But Still Know Nothing
- HURRICANE CENTER: Wave Watching Continues, Another Expected To Form
- Delray Beach Father And Son Charged In Boynton Shooting, Witness Threat