BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — BocaNewsNow.com received a lengthy, somewhat rambling email from a spokesperson for the Transportation Security Administration following our post earlier this week on the long lines experienced at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.
Specifically, we wrote about the bizarre closure of the “PreCheck” line at Delta’s (NYSE: DAL) terminal (terminal 2) during a peak time. The closure resulted in near chaos, as the remaining lines nearly overflowed capacity, and porters pushed waiting passengers out of narrow lanes to maneuver wheelchairs to the front of the line, making a bad situation worse.
The TSA spokesperson who wrote BocaNewsNow.com called the story “unethical” and “unprofessional.” The spokesperson also stated that our calculation of a 30 minute wait was untrue, as surveillance video showed a wait of 17 minutes — still extremely long by modern standards (and we question the calculation.)
“The TSA Precheck lane was closed from 9:33 a.m. to 10:05 a.m.” wrote the spokesperson. “At no point did the line reach 30 minutes as you stated. We have pulled the CCTV and 17 minutes was the top wait time.”
The spokesperson also wrote that the TSA worked with Delta to determine when it’s okay to close the PreCheck lane. However, there are at least five Delta flights that depart from FLL in the two to three hours from the time in question, which means roughly 1000 passengers with need to be screened, many with two bags each.
By the numbers, that’s 3000 people and bags being herded into two narrow lanes with an insufficient TSA staffing presence.
Delta Airlines spokeswoman Lindsay McDuff had not responded to questions about the closure several hours after they were asked Friday.
FREE! SUBSCRIBE TO BOCANEWSNOW.COM
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Teen With Autism Spits In Woodfield Gym, Woman Bullied For Asking Him To Stop
- COVID FLORIDA: State Passes 16,000 Deaths As Palm Beach County Sees Flu-Like Symptom ER Visits Grow
- HURRICANE CENTER: Tropical Depression 27 Forms In Atlantic
- TIME TO VOTE: Early Voting Locations Now Open In Palm Beach County
- Thanksgiving Could Be “Devastating” To South Palm Beach County
- FAU Reports 235 Students, Faculty Positive For COVID-19
- Tropical Depression Expected Off Florida’s Coast By Tuesday
- Early Voting Starts Monday In Palm Beach County
- POLICE: Mara Mena Missing, Last Seen In West Boca Raton