DEERFIELD BECH, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (From BSO) — Broward Sheriff’s Office Traffic Homicide Unit investigators identified the driver who was operating a vehicle involved in a crash Thursday afternoon in Deerfield Beach in which a 6-year-old girl died and three other children were badly injured.
Shirley Coto, 38, of Deerfield Beach does not have a Florida driver license. She was the driver of a Nissan Altima in which four children, ages 4 to 11, were passengers. It appears that at least some of the children were not properly restrained. No one has been cited in the crash, which is under investigation.
The crash happened just before 4 p.m. in front of the Bazaar supermarket. Investigators say Coto was heading southbound into the supermarket’s parking lot when the Altima collided with an eastbound Ford Ranger pickup driven by 22-year-old Marcelo Verly of Deerfield Beach. Verly and his passenger were not seriously injured and remained on scene to talk to investigators.
Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue transported Coto and children to Broward Health Medical Center, where the 6-year-old girl died a short time later. One other child is in extremely critical condition, and two others are in serious condition but have stabilized. Coto was treated and released. Anyone with information about the crash is asked to contact Traffic Homicide Det. Anthony Morales at 954-321-4840 or report information anonymously to Broward Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS (8477) or http://www.browardcrimestoppers.org.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- TURNPIKE CLOSED: Gas Pipeline Erupts, Detours Near Lake Worth
- NUMBER GAMES? COVID-19 Deaths High In Florida As DOH Says Positivity Low
- COVID-19 INFECTION: Boynton Elementary Student First In School District To Test Positive
- URGENT: Delray Beach Police Seeking Missing Woman
- COVID DEATHS SOAR: Florida Logs 223 Deaths On Tuesday
- Palm Beach County School District COVID Dashboard Already Questioned, Numbers Dropped
- TRAFFIC HAVOC: Palmetto Park Road To Close
- Guilty Plea From Delray Chiropractor Richard Davidson Came Just Months After Feds Moved In
- BOXED: Some Children Boxed In Boca Schools, Others Roam Freely During COVID