BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — BocaNewsNow.com last week received a series of threats from a so-called Boca-based “reputation” firm angry that we will not accept payment to remove mugshots.
We forwarded the expletive laced threats and phone records to detectives at the Boca Raton Police Department. The harassment, for now, has stopped.
The situation serves as a reminder to our readers that BocaNewsNow.com is a news website — not a site that publishes arrest records to extort money from arrestees, hoping to scrub their photos from public view. Under Florida law, mugshots and arrest records are public information.
It’s just that simple.
Most of what we publish can be obtained by anyone, anywhere.
But we also have a heart, and remove reports if we are notified that charges have been dropped or the State Attorney’s Office has declined to file.
Our goal is to be informative, not punitive.
If your mugshot is posted on BocaNewsNow.com, and charges against you have been dropped, please contact us through the contact form. We don’t charge to do the right thing.
If you are contacted by a “reputation” firm promising you that your mugshot will be removed from legitimate news websites for hundreds of dollars, note that news websites do not engage in that practice. Like a game of whack-a-mole, your mugshot may be removed from one site, only to appear on another. While we encourage you to speak with an attorney, there is a system in place to have arrest records expunged. It involves a Judge.
Also note that some reputation firms may be helpful in some circumstances. We encourage our readers to ask questions and conduct research before agreeing to pay anyone anything.
And the best way to avoid having your mugshot posted online is simple: avoid the appearance of committing a crime. Don’t drive after drinking. Don’t beat your spouse. Don’t steal.
Common sense is free.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- HURRICANE CENTER: 90 Percent Chance Two Systems Form Within Days
- Carly Richards, 20, Killed In Boynton Beach Crash
- Boca Raton Lawyer Who Threatened Us Disqualified From Case We Covered
- HURRICANE CENTER: Two New Systems Southeast Of Florida May Become Victor, Wanda
- POLICE: Woman Charged With Firebombing Area Temple
- KINSA: Palm Beach County COVID Situation Improving, But Hospitals Over Capacity
- FLORIDA BLUE ALERT: Patrick McDowell On Loose, Allegedly Killed Cop
- HURRICANE CENTER: Sam Turning, But Two Systems Forming East Of Florida
- Saturnia Isles Resident Charged With Homicide, Is Convicted Felon