FORT LAUDERDALE, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — A Spirit Airlines flight was evacuated Thursday night at FLL after someone thought they heard someone say something about a bomb. Sounds like the folks involved come from the same class of people who don’t get up when a plane lands because they’re too busy posting to FaceBook that their plane landed.
The Broward Sheriff’s Office just released one of the most understated press releases of all time explaining what really happened:
Below are excerpts from the incident report to help clarify how the event escalated from a phone conversation to a “perceived” bomb threat.
On November 19, 2015 at approximately 10:25 p.m. Broward Sheriff’s deputies responded to a reported bomb threat allegedly made by a passenger of Spirit Airlines flight 596, which was headed to Minneapolis, Minnesota. There were 92 passengers and six crew members onboard the aircraft.
During the investigation, deputies boarded the aircraft and removed two subjects believe to be involved with the alleged threat and transported them to the district office to be interviewed by responding FBI agents. Three witnesses and two flight attendants were also transported to the district office to be interviewed. The remaining passengers were removed from the aircraft, placed on shuttle buses, and transported to Concourse “G” to board another flight. The aircraft’s cabin and cargo hold were then swept by BSO canine, as were all bags onboard. The security sweep yielded negative results for any potential explosives.
FBI agents interviewed three passengers, who witnessed the incident and two flight attendants. They then interviewed the two subjects removed from the aircraft, one of whom had no involvement in the alleged threat. After an exhaustive interview, the agents determined there was no actual threat made to the flight, and that the incident was a result of miscommunication between the witness passengers, the flight crew, and the pilot. The male subject, who had been on the telephone, was later released and was not charged.
FREE! SUBSCRIBE TO BOCANEWSNOW.COM
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- HURRICANE CENTER: Tropical Depression Likely, Florida Should Watch
- Delray Woman Sues, Says Dunkin’ Coffee Cup Collapsed
- More Dead, More Infected In Florida As COVID Spread Continues
- Now 140 COVID-19 Cases In Palm Beach County Schools
- HURRICANE CENTER: South Florida Near System’s Path
- West Boca Raton’s David Cohen Jailed On Money Laundering, Fraud Charges
- UPDATE: DISTANCE LEARNING COULD END IN JANUARY, PALM BEACH SCHOOLS ISSUES STATEMENT
- Florida Dept. of Ed. Calls Rumor Of “Distance Learning” Ending “False Narrative”
- FLORIDA COVID: 5,489 New Infections Reported, Highest One Day Total In Weeks