BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — If you receive a telephone call from 202-415-5110, don’t bother answering. If you do, or listen to the voicemail left, you’ll likely hear a computer voice telling you that you owe money to the IRS and that you must call back immediately. Calling back will lead you to what sounds a lot like a call center in India. The operator will provide you with a fake IRS employee ID number and will also have your address.
The likely scam is preying on folks in South Palm Beach County and while our computer and tech savvy readers will likely realize it’s not legit, please tell your parents and grandparents that there is no reason to believe that they owe money to the IRS. Unless they do. In which case they should be working with an accountant, not a call center in India.
There’s also no reason to believe that either Boca Police or the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office is en route with an arrest warrant in hand for missing tax payments. The IRS is a federal agency. Police are local. IRS Agents try to resolve late payments through the mail and the courts. Local police write tickets for speeding and nab bad guys doing bad things locally. None of them tend to utilize call centers in India for law enforcement purposes. And the likelihood of you being jailed over $5000 in late tax payments — the innocuous number being used by the alleged scammers — is somewhere between none and none.
If you receive the call, we encourage you to file a report with the IRS by clicking here.
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Senator Marco Rubio Talks TikTok, FAU With Andrew Colton on NewsRadio 610 WIOD
- WHOSE BODY WAS IN BURNING CAR? BROWARD COPS ASKING FOR TIPS
- GO OWLS! FAU’s Student Affairs VP Joins Andrew Colton On NewsRadio 610 WIOD
- Broward Crash Backs Up Traffic Into Boca Raton
- Rocco’s Tacos Delray Beach Ordered Closed By Health Inspector
- SECURITY ALERT: Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport Evacuated
- HAMMER TIME: Boca Raton Woman Allegedly Hits Husband On Head With Hammer
- Body Found On Side Of Palm Beach County Road, FHP Asks For Tips
- Body Found In North Broward Burning Car