BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Unless you are in extreme deal hunting mode and don’t care about your ability to return defective items, you may want to stay away from area Sports Authority locations — like the one in West Boca Raton. Sports Authority today announced it is filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, but more importantly, the Wall Street Journal is reporting that all stores could close by the end of April if no buyer for the company is found.
What does that mean for you? Simply put: if you buy something at the store and the store no longer exists, you’ll have no ability to return the item.
Here’s the letter to consumers from Sports Authority’s CEO… note the use of “at this time” throughout:
Dear Sports Authority Customers,
During the past several months, we have been working very hard to adapt our business to better meet the needs of our customers. We are committed to evolving as a company so we are ableto continue to offer the best brands at great values – both in our stores and on our website, SportsAuthority.com.
With these goals in mind, we have decided to utilize the Chapter 11 process to implement a financial and operational restructuring that we believe is necessary to help us become an even better place for our customers to shop for sporting goods.
Due to the changing retail environment, we have a long-term plan to streamline and strengthen our business so we can continue to make necessary investments in our operations, including upgrading our in store experience and enhancing our website. As part of that plan, we have identified approximately 140 stores that we intend to close or sell in the coming months. This was a tough decision to make, but we believe it was a necessary step in our plan to make Sports Authority an even better partner for our customers. The store closings will occur over the next three months.
While no stores are being shut immediately, if the store where you regularly shop is ultimately closed, you can use the Store Locator on our website to find the nearest Sports Authority location. In addition, you always can find all of our brands at the same great values online at SportsAuthority.com.
Most importantly, I want to emphasize that our customers should not be affected by this restructuring process.
- We do not expect there to be any impact on gift card balances or your ability to use gift cards at our stores or online at this time.
- In addition, there should be no changes to our return/exchange policies at our go-forward stores or our customer loyalty program, The League.
- If you have a warranty on a product you bought at Sports Authority, it is still in effect for the same period of time.
- Finally, this should have no impact on the way you use your Sports Authority credit card or pay your bill.
In short, we are continuing to operate our stores and website, and we remain fully committed to delivering value and great brands wherever you shop at Sports Authority.
If you have any questions, or would like more information about the Chapter 11 case, including access to Court documents, please visit www.kccllc.net/sportsauthority or call the information line at:
Toll Free (USA and Canada): 866-967-0490
International Callers: 310-751-2690
Thank you for your continued support!
Content copyright © 2022 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark. BocaRudeton™ is a trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. Sirens™ is a trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. “You hear sirens, we know where they went,”™ is a trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. “Don’t Want To Be Seen Here? Don’t Be Rude Here!™” is a trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 866-4-FL-NEWS. Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- If You’re Looking For Kelley McIsaac, She’s In Jail, And We Know Why
- Tri-Rail Service Resumes Following Massive System Failure
- REMINDER: Palm Beach County Public School Year Ends Thursday
- Train Strikes, Kills Man South Of Boca Raton, Roads Closed
- FOURTEEN STUDENTS DEAD IN TEXAS SCHOOL SHOOTING, ONE TEACHER
- Memorial Day Ceremony Set For South Florida National Cemetery
- POLICE: Delray Beach Man Attacks Dog, Beats With Stick, Cuts
- HURRICANE: NOAA Says ”Above Average” Season Just Days Away
- DRAMA: Woman Says Cinemark Boca Raton Seats Are Dangerous, Sues