DELRAY BEACH, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Staff at Delray Medical Center — the primary trauma hospital in the area — initially refused a police request to provide a toxicology screen for DUI suspect Michael Rubel who police say smelled like alcohol and admitted to using MDMA following a major accident.
The refusal — which the staff blamed on insurance reasons and a concern that Delray Medical Center, owned by Tenet Health Care, wouldn’t be paid — led Boca Raton Police to seek out an Assistant State’s Attorney as they initiated their investigation into the November accident on Federal Highway which left several members of one family seriously injured.
Wrote a Boca Raton Police Officer in Rubel’s arrest report:
“I was informed that Dr. Catina would not order such labs completed due to the fact that Michael Rubel came into DMC displaying signs of possible impairment. When I asked what the reasoning behind the decision was, I was told that due to the fact that it was a motor vehicle crash in which the operator was possibly impaired, the insurance company would most likely not reimburse the hospital for care provided such as toxicology screens.”
A doctor ultimately ordered a urine screen which, according to a police affidavit, revealed that Rubel was under the influence of multiple substances in the hours after the accident.
Read the complete arrest affidavit here — including the section on Delray Medical Center’s refusal to run a toxicology test on Rubel, despite his injuries and apparent odor.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- POLICE: Boca Raton Man Claimed Girlfriend Had Knife, Pills, So Batters Her To Save Her
- FAU Henderson University School Ranked Second In USA For K-5
- Woman Slips On Pool Deck, Sues Boca’s Broken Sound Country Club
- HURRICANE CENTER: Keep An Eye On Growing System East Of Florida
- FEDS: Local Man, “Dandy Daddy,” Sentenced To Eight Years In Prison
- Flanigan’s Boca Raton Cited For Flying Insects
- GAS LEAK: Airport Road In Boca Raton Closed
- STRAIGHT OUTTA KINGS POINT: Stalking, Murder Threat Charges Filed
- COVID Cases Rise In Palm Beach County School District