BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Shopping may be a pleasure at Publix, but checkout is now a nightmare. Like retail outlets nationwide, Publix recently turned on its “chip reader” in the credit card processing machines used by customers. If your Boca-area Publix isn’t using it yet, it will be soon. The Loggers Run and Clint Moore/441 Publix locations went online within the past several weeks.
Chip readers are not entirely bad — they are designed to prevent the widespread credit card fraud that hit Target and Home Depot over the past several years. It’s safe to say consumers benefit when credit card fraud is reduced.
But Publix’s implementation is, arguably, among the worst of major retail outlets. Cashiers, according to cashiers, are being told to expect a three minute processing time per customer. Even in the express lane.
That’s just too long.
Publix, according to employees, has added its own security layers to the software and processing checks already in place. That’s great for Publix, but horrendous for customers. Buying a half gallon of milk and want your 6 Marriott Rewards points by using Visa? Three minutes. Want a sandwich from the deli that only took 2 minutes to make? Give yourself three minutes once you’re at the front of the checkout line.
And there’s this: Put your card in a second before the screen says “insert card?” and it’s all but guaranteed that your cashier will have to reset the transaction. Add another two minutes while the system reboots to three minutes it takes to process the card.
Publix has to do better. The place that gives free cookies to kids, has employees who legitimately smile as they welcome customers by name, the company that employs — and embraces — workers living with Down Syndrome, must find a way to balance security with speed. Credit card security is good. But Publix must lead in the implementation of a system that isn’t glitchy and slow.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- DEATHTOBER FLORIDA: State, Palm Beach County COVID Deaths, Infections Climbing Again
- UPDATE: Parents MUST Choose Distance or In-Person Within Days For PBC Schools
- PALM BEACH COUNTY: Heavy Rain For Days, Flood Watch Through Sunday
- TRAFFIC: Palm Beach County Projects Slow The Go, See Them All Here
- HURRICANE CENTER: Two New Systems South Of Florida
- PALM BEACH SCHOOLS: Parents Forced To Make Permanent Learning Choice
- FLORIDA: Gov. DeSantis’ COVID Eviction Ban Ending
- Boca Raton Chiropractor Jonathan Rouffe Pleads Guilty, Faces 10 Years In Federal Prison
- Boca Barber Shoots At Customers, Boca Police Trim His Freedom