PARKLAND, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Source: BSO) — Broward Sheriff’s Office traffic homicide investigators have arrested a Boca Raton woman who killed her passenger in a single-vehicle crash on Mother’s Day in Parkland.
Laura Haggerty, 47, was taken into custody Sept. 30 with the help of the Palm Beach Sheriff’s Office. She faces two DUI/Manslaughter charges and one charge of vehicular homicide.
Around 4 p.m. May 8, Kelly Rider, 35, was a passenger in a Ford Explorer that was heading eastbound on Loxahatchee Road. Laura Haggerty was behind the wheel. Haggerty lost control of the vehicle near the 12200 block when her SUV drifted off the road. Haggerty overcorrected, causing the vehicle to veer across the roadway and collide with the guardrail on the north side of the street. The SUV then began to spin in a counterclockwise motion, before rolling over.
Rider, who wasn’t wearing a seatbelt, was ejected. Coral Springs Fire Department pronounced him dead at the scene. BSO Air Rescue transported Haggerty to Broward Health North.
According to BSO detectives, she was speeding and driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.25.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Palm Beach County Offering Summer Camp Scholarships
- Delray’s Georgios Pappas Charged With DUI
- Trump’s Palm Beach County Passes 100,000 COVID-19 Cases
- Publix COVID Shot Reservations Open Again Friday
- Graffiti Vandal Strikes West Delray Beach Community
- Palm Beach School District Adds Nearly 500 Cases Since Break
- Boca Raton, Delray Beach Real Estate Market Hot
- As Trump Moves To Florida, COVID Infections, Deaths Rise
- PUBLIX: COVID Vaccine System Didn’t Crash, More Available Friday