FORT LAUDERDALE, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Pedestrian bridges connecting parking garages to terminals at Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport will remain closed throughout the holiday travel season. The closure means travelers will continue to engage in a game of “Frogger” as they cross the airport’s main road with luggage, often with no Broward County Sheriff’s Deputies or airport security officials slowing or stopping traffic.
Airport officials tell BocaNewsNow.com that despite several previous statements to the contrary, all bridges will remain shut into the first quarter of 2017.
“Work continues on installing the steel roofs, the metal/concrete floors, lighting and handrails,” according to Spokesman Allan Siegal.
Reserved parking, also expected to be available more than a year ago — and advertised throughout the airport parking structures — has yet to exist.
The bridges, which have been closed for more than a year, provide passage above traffic for travelers. Now, flyers seeking safety must use valet parking at $25/day. The bridge connecting parking to Terminal 1, Southwest Airline’s home, remains open.
The airport is expecting a record Thanksgiving travel season, with more than 600,000 travelers using the airport between November 22nd and November 28th.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- DESANTIS DELUSIONAL? Florida Passes 14K Deaths, Approaches 700,000 COVID Infections
- West Boca Man, Charged With Stalking, Says “Current Marriage Is A Joke”
- DEADLY DECISION? Phase Three Happening, Palm Beach County Masking Continues, Other Orders Lifting
- DESANTIS: PHASE 3 NOW STATEWIDE, LOCAL RULES LARGELY DON’T MATTER
- CODE ENFORCEMENT: We Have Every COVID-19 Inspection In Boca Raton, Read The Reports
- Palm Beach County Says Bars Can Open Sooner Than Expected
- Boca Raton’s Jill Davis Charged With DUI, Nearly Three Times Legal Limit
- Boca Raton’s Timothy Werner Refuses DUI Test, Jailed
- Boca Raton’s Moise Gadoury Jailed, Didn’t Register As Sex Offender