Skip to content

DEAR MORTY: Is It Okay For A Seven Bridges Security Guard To Stop Traffic?

seven bridges delray

Dear Morty! Our reader wonders why traffic is stopped each morning in Seven Bridges.

DELRAY BEACH, FL ( — In our first installment of “Dear Morty,” we receive an email and photo from a reader asking our resident HOA expert and advice columnist, Morty Epperstein, whether security guards can stop traffic on a thoroughfare.
Dear Morty: I live in Seven Bridges which is a new community in West Delray Beach. Every morning, a security guard stops traffic on our main road so adults can stand in the street while awaiting the arrival of a school bus from a private school. The guard then closes the street again so these Tesla-driving homeowners can leave the bus stop area. This prevents lots of people from leaving the community in a timely manner after kids are safely on the bus. Is that fair? Is that legal?
Eden Roc Edie
Dear Edie,
Thanks for sending the first question! In all my years of providing HOA guidance and just plain good advice, I can say that Morty has never heard of such a thing and is truly appalled. Florida law is very clear that a thoroughfare should never be blocked, and certainly not for cars entering from a parking lot. It’s reasonable to stop traffic for a school bus, but not after the bus is gone. Those cars must wait until traffic is clear to enter the roadway one at a time. Morty suggests telling your HOA of the problem. If that fails, Morty suggests filing a complaint with law enforcement which is locally quite keen on reminding private security guards that they have no power and must follow the law.
May the good sense be yours.
Have a question, comment, scandal or photo for Morty Epperstein? Email news (at) He’ll have his own email box soon. 



Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read hereBroadcast stations must credit on air. Print must refer to Online must link to Contact news (at) Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.