POMPANO BEACH, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Source: BSO) — A 31-year-old motorcyclist died after colliding with a car while attempting to speed through an intersection last Wednesday in Pompano Beach.
La-Darris Carlo Smart was riding a 2007 Honda CBR1000RR motorcycle westbound on Hammondville Road in the outside lane. Tamera Gray was driving a 2006 Hyundai Sonata eastbound in the designated left turn lane preparing to turn north onto N.W. 9th Ave.
As Gray began to turn left, Smart rapidly increased his speed. The acceleration was not anticipated by Gray, who believed she had sufficient time to complete a turn safely.
Smart’s motorcycle struck the passenger side of Gray’s car which caused sufficient damage to disable both vehicles. Smart was ejected from his bike. He was pronounced deceased on scene by Pompano Beach Fire Rescue. The motorcyclist was wearing a helmet at the time of crash.
Gray was uninjured. She remained at the scene and was cooperative with the investigation. Impairment was not suspected. Evidence and witness statements suggested excessive speed on the part of Smart was a contributing factor. The investigation is active and ongoing.
Anyone with information is asked to contact THI Detective Sean Williams at 954-321-4840. Tips can also be made anonymously to Broward Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS (8477) or online at browardcrimestoppers.org.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- ALERT: Florida Freedom Keepers Plans Rally At Patch Reef Park, Authorities Warn
- Hit and Run Charge Filed Against Delray Beach Man
- GOOD COVID NEWS FLORIDA? All Numbers Dropping
- Enhanced DUI Charge Filed Against Boca Raton Woman
- CLAIM: Woman Critically Injured In Boca Raton Town Center Mall Lot
- Teacher Union: Keep Masks In Palm Beach Schools
- New Mask Policy In Palm Beach County School District
- ALLEGATION: Home Depot Botched $16K Storm Window Install, Ignoring Inspectors
- Woman Vomits In Town Center Mall Parking Lot, Is Charged With DUI