DELRAY BEACH, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Source: Delray Beach Police Department) — A 60-year-old woman with an extensive criminal history is facing multiple burglary and grand theft over $100,000 charges after cutting locks and pilfering multiple storage units, amassing a cache of stolen items that includes assorted household items, electronics, musical instruments and taxidermy as well as the Preakness Cup, gilded horseshoes and other memorabilia from the 1969 Preakness Stakes.
Alicia Elaine Murphy of Boca Raton was taken into custody Wednesday evening after Delray Beach police officers and detectives arrived at her Enfield Street house with a box truck and a search warrant. After finding several stolen items in the home, they confiscated the items and arrested Murphy.
The warrant was the culmination of an investigation into about a dozen storage unit burglaries at Cubesmart,14216 S. Military Trail in Delray Beach, that have happened since July. DBPD’s Problem-Oriented Policing Unit officers and criminal investigations detectives determined that Murphy rented a storage unit at the facility, routinely stole property and pawned it. Detectives estimate the value of the hundreds of stolen items to be between $350,000 and $400,000.
Murphy sent the Preakness Cup and other mementos from the 1969 race to an auction house in New York that specializes in sports collectibles. The auction company had already given Murphy a $15,000 advance on the cup.
The investigation into the extent of Murphy’s thefts is ongoing. Anyone with information can report it to DBPD Det. Christopher Trapasso at (561) 243-7868.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- ALERT: Florida Freedom Keepers Plans Rally At Patch Reef Park, Authorities Warn
- Hit and Run Charge Filed Against Delray Beach Man
- GOOD COVID NEWS FLORIDA? All Numbers Dropping
- Enhanced DUI Charge Filed Against Boca Raton Woman
- CLAIM: Woman Critically Injured In Boca Raton Town Center Mall Lot
- Teacher Union: Keep Masks In Palm Beach Schools
- New Mask Policy In Palm Beach County School District
- ALLEGATION: Home Depot Botched $16K Storm Window Install, Ignoring Inspectors
- Woman Vomits In Town Center Mall Parking Lot, Is Charged With DUI