BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Source: Boca Raton Fire Rescue) — On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 7:43PM Fire Rescue units were dispatched to a “Water Rescue” in the Atlantic Ocean at 3000 South Ocean Boulevard. Initial information indicated a woman was screaming in the water and being carried out by a rip current and an unknown male was swimming out attempting to help her. Boca Raton Fire Rescue Engine 3 responded with Medic 3, Engine 8 and Battalion 1. Upon arrival units found a woman and a male being carried out by the rip current. The crews from Engine 3 and Medic 3 utilized the Rescue Paddleboard, Peterson Buoy and fins from Engine 3 and entered the water. In addition, Ocean Rescue Captain Tim Fry responded as well. Firefighter Sherry Griffith, Lieutenant Mike Sember and Captain Tim Fry all entered the water and swam towards the distressed swimmers who were approximately 200-300 feet from shore. The currents were extremely strong, along with very rough surf breaking over them, but the three were able to reach the victims quickly. The female victim was exhausted and could not help herself any longer and was placed on the paddleboard and the male was assisted with the Peterson Buoy. Due to the nature of the rip current and conditions, it took some time to get to a spot where they were able to swim back in. With assistance from Broward Sheriff’s Office (BSO) Fire Rescue, Medic 75 and our units, our personnel and the distressed swimmers were assisted back to shore. BSO Fire Rescue transported the female, in stable condition, to North Broward Medical Center.
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Senator Marco Rubio Talks TikTok, FAU With Andrew Colton on NewsRadio 610 WIOD
- WHOSE BODY WAS IN BURNING CAR? BROWARD COPS ASKING FOR TIPS
- GO OWLS! FAU’s Student Affairs VP Joins Andrew Colton On NewsRadio 610 WIOD
- Broward Crash Backs Up Traffic Into Boca Raton
- Rocco’s Tacos Delray Beach Ordered Closed By Health Inspector
- SECURITY ALERT: Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport Evacuated
- HAMMER TIME: Boca Raton Woman Allegedly Hits Husband On Head With Hammer
- Body Found On Side Of Palm Beach County Road, FHP Asks For Tips
- Body Found In North Broward Burning Car