UPDATE: 10:21a Tuesday, May 29, 2018: Here is the official statement from the Palm Beach County School District: “It is a school by school decision for various reasons. This isn’t unusual across the country.”
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Neither the Palm Beach County School District nor the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office responded to questions over the holiday weekend regarding a “backback ban” being issued at area schools starting Tuesday and continuing through Friday, the final day of school.
Parents at one West Boca Raton elementary school, concerned with the seemingly bizarre last minute ban issued by a principal, have asked BocaNewsNow.com for information as to whether the ban is safety related.
Our answer: we just don’t know. We have been unable to obtain a sensible “on the record” response.
Frustrated and concerned parents — who have been on edge since the Parkland attack — say it is illogical that children are to leave backpacks and school bags at home, while still carrying folders, notebooks, lunches, water bottles and other school items. Parents and teachers — speaking with BocaNewsNow.com — question how students are expected to bring remaining items from schools home at the end of the week.
Teachers are being paid to teach through Friday and then return Monday for “post school” events, seemingly mitigating one suggestion that the backpack ban is merely to keep classrooms clean so teachers can start summer vacation right away.
But parents say if the ban is security related, it is unacceptable that they have not been told.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Boca High, Don Estridge Highest COVID Infections In South Palm Beach County
- Boca Raton’s Steven Pollachek Jailed On DUI Charge, Twice Legal Limit
- Threatening To Stab Husband, Boca Raton Woman Jailed
- Marriott Not Commenting On COVID Prom At Boca Center
- Murder-Suicide At Local Hampton Inn, Child Found Asleep, Body In Car On I-95
- Did A Boca High School Parent Stage A Prom, Violating COVID Rules?
- Another Kings Point Resident Jailed, This Time For Battery
- FLORIDA: COVID ER Visits Rising, Local ICU Count Up, Positivity Slightly Down
- Leaders Of “Extreme Jewish Sect” Charged With Child Exploitation