DELRAY BEACH, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Source: Delray Beach Police Department) — DBPD detectives are investigating a drive-by shooting Wednesday night that left a 10-year-old boy recovering from a gunshot wound to his leg.
Detectives believe the shooting was the latest in an ongoing feud between two families and their associates. Though it may have been sparked by a dispute years earlier, detectives began tracking the shootings in May 2014 after the homicide of 23-year-old Pernell James. They have counted 46 back-and-forth shootings between the groups. Often, the targets are cars or houses of various relatives, all who live within about a mile of each other and sometimes within a block or two. Five of the shootings have been fatal and three others were deemed attempted murders.
In Wednesday incident, the seventh this year attributed to the feud, a gold Chevy Tahoe was westbound on Northwest 1st Street just before 10:30 p.m. when the front and rear passenger windows lowered and the occupants fired several shots at two men in the front yard of 1105 N.W. 1st St.. Neither was hit. At least one bullet went through the front door and through the thigh of a 10-year-old boy who was inside the house with other children and adults. A relative transported him to Delray Medical Center where he was treated for his leg wound, an injury that is often fatal, and was later released.
Anyone with information about the shooting can contact DBPD Det. Casey Kelly at (561) 243-7800 or report anonymous information to Crime Stoppers of Palm Beach County (800) 458-TIPS (8477). Crime Stoppers will pay up to $3,000 for an anonymous tip that leads to an arrest.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Glades Road Entrance, Exit Closed All Weekend For Turnpike
- Boca Raton Man Arrested Six Times, Now For DUI
- Parkland Man Shot, Killed By Police Identified
- Delray Marketplace Restaurant Shut By State, Mass Violations
- Area Teen Faces 11 Charges In Boca Raton, Bond Nearly $20K
- Mask Mandate Extended In Palm Beach County As COVID Spread Continues
- FLORIDA COVID: Infections Increase Again, Positivity Pulls Back Slightly
- Police Dispatcher Arrested For Misconduct
- Local Man Sentenced For Universal Studios Fraud