DELRAY BEACH, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Delray Beach Police Department officers were called to a home early Saturday morning after a man reportedly threatened his mother with a firearm.
When they arrived at 648 West Drive just after 6:30 a.m., they found 38-year-old John Randolph in the home by himself with a gun. Randolph’s parents had left the house. Officers attempted to talk to Randolph, but he was not cooperative, appearing agitated, shouting and refusing to come out.
Around 7:50 a.m., Randolph ran out of the house brandishing a handgun. At least one DBPD officer fired at Randolph, hitting him. Delray Beach Fire Rescue was called to the scene and pronounced Randolph dead a short time later. The gun was recovered at the scene. No officers were injured.
Officer Christine Suarez, who was hired in January 2004, and Officer Tremayne Barnes, who was hired in January 2018, have been placed on administrative leave, per department policy after an officer-involved shooting.
DBPD chaplains and detectives were with Randolph’s parents, who were unharmed, after the shooting. Randolph, who was known to officers before the incident, lived at that address with his parents.
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is conducting an investigation into the shooting, per DBPD protocol. DBPD’slast officer-involved shooting was in 2010. It was not fatal.
LOCAL JOURNALISM SUPPORTER.
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- REMINDER: No Bags Permitted In Broward Schools This Week
- Major I-95, Glades Road Traffic Problems Expected This Week In Boca Raton
- Anti-Muslim Conservative Laura Loomer Sues Attorneys In Palm Beach County Court
- Cheerleader In Bikini Jailed For DUI In Delray Beach, Driving Strapless
- ALERT: SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING ISSUED FOR SOUTH PALM BEACH COUNTY
- Dogs In Starbucks, Publix, Aldi, Boca Raton And Delray Beach Readers Say Enough
- Tropical Storm Arlene Forms West Of Florida
- Palm Beach County Real Estate Market Still Plummeting
- Person Killed, Struck By Brightline Train In North Broward County