DELRAY BEACH, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Delray Beach Police Department officers were called to a home early Saturday morning after a man reportedly threatened his mother with a firearm.
When they arrived at 648 West Drive just after 6:30 a.m., they found 38-year-old John Randolph in the home by himself with a gun. Randolph’s parents had left the house. Officers attempted to talk to Randolph, but he was not cooperative, appearing agitated, shouting and refusing to come out.
Around 7:50 a.m., Randolph ran out of the house brandishing a handgun. At least one DBPD officer fired at Randolph, hitting him. Delray Beach Fire Rescue was called to the scene and pronounced Randolph dead a short time later. The gun was recovered at the scene. No officers were injured.
Officer Christine Suarez, who was hired in January 2004, and Officer Tremayne Barnes, who was hired in January 2018, have been placed on administrative leave, per department policy after an officer-involved shooting.
DBPD chaplains and detectives were with Randolph’s parents, who were unharmed, after the shooting. Randolph, who was known to officers before the incident, lived at that address with his parents.
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is conducting an investigation into the shooting, per DBPD protocol. DBPD’slast officer-involved shooting was in 2010. It was not fatal.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- PALM BEACH SCHOOL TEACHERS: “We’ll Reward Kids Who Wear Masks”
- COVID CRISIS FLORIDA: State Reports Another 16,935 Infections, 140 Deaths
- ARMED ROBBERY OUTSIDE TOWN CENTER MALL: Boca Raton Police Investigate
- UPDATE: Hurricane Center Now Says Two Systems Forming
- LAWSUIT: Don’t Burn The Body! Boca Raton Woman Set For Cremation, Son Says Stop…
- Daniel Porush, “Wolf Of Boca Raton,” Jailed On DUI Charge
- FLORIDA: At Least 40 Children Admitted To Hospitals For COVID On Monday
- PALM BEACH SCHOOLS: COVID Positive Children Must Miss First Days
- One Wave To Die, But Another Is Forming Says National Hurricane Center