UPDATE: 12p, Wednesday, August 8th:
All out-of-state and international students are being invited to a special commencement ceremony this week. Time and location specifics will be shared as soon as they are available. All other students are being invited to a rescheduled commencement event next week. Location and time will be determined based on the number who plan to attend.
Any students who cannot make the rescheduled commencements will be invited to participate in the regularly scheduled Fall 2018 commencement ceremony this December with their college.
All students affected by this rescheduling will also be invited to the Sept. 8football game against Air Force, our first home game, for a special recognition.
UPDATE: 7:18P — Here is the official statement, just released:
At approximately 4 p.m. today, a staff member found a note in a women’s restroom at FAU’s College of Business with a threat that was specific to today’s 5 p.m.commencement ceremony. The ceremony was canceled and the building evacuated to allow for a police investigation. The investigation is still ongoing.
There were 462 students scheduled to participate in the ceremony. Every effort will be made to give these students the recognition they deserve.
Please check http://www.fau.edu/advisoryfor updates.
UPDATE 6:45 — Unspecified threat was found on a sticky note.
UPDATE 6:01p — FAU refuses to release public safety information prior to 6:15p
UPDATE: Student union is being evacuated.
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Developing — Tonight’s commencement at FAU is canceled due to what is being called a “credible threat.” FAU Police Department is running point on the operation. Unclear what caused the cancellation at this time.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Boca High, Don Estridge Highest COVID Infections In South Palm Beach County
- Boca Raton’s Steven Pollachek Jailed On DUI Charge, Twice Legal Limit
- Threatening To Stab Husband, Boca Raton Woman Jailed
- Marriott Not Commenting On COVID Prom At Boca Center
- Murder-Suicide At Local Hampton Inn, Child Found Asleep, Body In Car On I-95
- Did A Boca High School Parent Stage A Prom, Violating COVID Rules?
- Another Kings Point Resident Jailed, This Time For Battery
- FLORIDA: COVID ER Visits Rising, Local ICU Count Up, Positivity Slightly Down
- Leaders Of “Extreme Jewish Sect” Charged With Child Exploitation