BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Sure, we’re being controversial, but we’re likely not the only ones to see the incredible optics crisis that Baptist Healthcare created when it severed its relationship with United Healthcare, pushing away a huge portion of the Boca Raton community that relied on Boca Regional as its hospital of choice.
The Jewish population of Boca Raton is considered to be at least 20 percent. Baptist’s severing of Boca Regional’s relationship with United Healthcare came literally minutes after Baptist assumed control of the hospital.
This statement was just transmitted by Baptist, and notably not from hospital CEO Lincoln Mendez but from a Vice President by the name of Eric Shatanof.
“Our new contract is a testament to the strong, longstanding relationship with have with UnitedHealthcare. We are pleased we can strengthen our commitment to the community by ensuring access to the high-quality health care at Boca Raton Regional Hospital.”
Doctors and United Healthcare customers contacting BocaNewsNow.com over the past several months expressed outrage that the two parties couldn’t come together, but most of the blame fell on Baptist — an insignificant player in the Boca Raton medical community until it took over Boca Regional.
While not speaking for attribution, scores of readers contacting BocaNewsNow.com over the past few months drew the connection between Baptist’s takeover of Boca Regional and Boca’s large Jewish population — suggesting that Baptist’s refusal to take any insurance used by Boca residents is concerning.
For United Healthcare, the new agreement may be too late for area companies that have decided to drop UHC in 2020 for Blue Cross and other insurance carriers that maintained relationships with Boca Regional Hospital.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- UPDATE: Parents MUST Choose Distance or In-Person Within Days For PBC Schools
- PALM BEACH COUNTY: Heavy Rain For Days, Flood Watch Through Sunday
- TRAFFIC: Palm Beach County Projects Slow The Go, See Them All Here
- HURRICANE CENTER: Two New Systems South Of Florida
- PALM BEACH SCHOOLS: Parents Forced To Make Permanent Learning Choice
- FLORIDA: Gov. DeSantis’ COVID Eviction Ban Ending
- Boca Raton Chiropractor Jonathan Rouffe Pleads Guilty, Faces 10 Years In Federal Prison
- Boca Barber Shoots At Customers, Boca Police Trim His Freedom
- LOTS OF DEATH: Florida Again Reporting High COVID Death Numbers, Infections