BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — BocaNewsNow.com conducted an unscientifc survey sampling of area HOA’s over the past 48 hours. Roughly 80 percent of HOAs in both country club and non-country club communities said they expect to close their clubhouse and curtail use of public amenities — like swimming pools and fitness centers — within the next two days.
“It’s the responsible thing to do,” said one HOA president. BocaNewsNow.com promised all speaking to us that we would not identify specific communities as closures will be highly controversial.
“You can’t close schools and close offices, all to increase social distancing, and then say it’s okay to sweat in the gym, cough on each other at a pool, or eat in a community restaurant.”
Another HOA’s Vice President told BocaNewsNow.com that “it’s inevitable. Whether it’s truly needed or not, it just looks bad to condone social gatherings and gathering places when conventional wisdom seems to be shut everything down for now.”
“It’s wait and see,” for a third community representative speaking with BocaNewsNow.com. “We have lots of people coming down from New York to escape the hot spots there. They expect to be able to use the facilities they pay for.”
The rep acknowledged the problem with that logic.
“We are keenly aware, though, that there is great fear that at least some of those coming from New York may have been exposed and will then spread it here. It’s really a no-win situation.”
“Then there’s the school problem,” said another community’s board member. “Schools are closed. There are lots of parents who literally dump their kids in the clubhouse for the day. Kids spread germs. It seems that pulling kids from school but putting them in a clubhouse accomplishes absolutely nothing.”
As of Saturday morning, BocaNewsNow.com was unaware of any community that had officially closed facilities. Closures, if any, are expected to start Sunday or Monday morning.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Federal Judge Slaps Delray’s Seven Bridges, Litigants LaGrasso and Tannenholz
- PALM BEACH COUNTY: Reckless Endangerment Charges For Non-Mask Wearers?
- South Florida Attorney Charged By Feds For Wire, Securities Fraud
- COVID SURGE FLORIDA: 3259 New Cases, 106 New Deaths, Positivity Heading Up
- BIG JUMP: Now 22 COVID Infections In Palm Beach County Schools
- Boca Raton Man Jailed On Aggravated Assault With Deadly Weapon Charge
- COVID-19: Boca, Delray Restaurant Horror Stories As CDC Says Eating Inside Is Bad Idea
- COVID-19 Reported In Boca Middle, Spanish River High, West Boca High
- Police Cam Captures Takedown Of Former Campaign Official