BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The Palm Beach County Animal Care and Control Department is urging pet owners in Boca, Delray and Boynton to make plans now for what happens to your pet if you become sick or die.
From the County:
People should immediately identify a family member or friend who can care for pets if someone in the household becomes ill.
· Have crates, food and extra supplies on hand for quick movement of pets.
· Keep all animal vaccines up to date in the event boarding becomes necessary.
· Ensure all medications are documented with dosages and administering directions. Including the prescription from your veterinarian is also helpful.
· Pets should have identification: collar with ID tag and microchip (best practice is microchipping).
· If you become sick, stay in contact with the person assigned as a pet caregiver to keep them up to date on how you are doing.
· Have instructions written down to give to paramedics or Animal Care and Control in case you must be taken to the hospital. Be sure to include the name, address and phone number of the assigned caregiver.