BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — We’ve reported quite a bit over the past several days over the increasing number of “beach goers” violating orders in Boca Raton and along the Palm Beach County coast. Simply put, all beaches are closed until AT LEAST a week from today. The Palm Beach County Commission is considering, but not yet officially announcing, a beach reopening on May 18th.
Photos that we’ve published show people blatantly disregarding orders to stay off the beach.
We questioned where the police were — and that led our slightly annoyed friends at Boca PD and PBSO to remind us that the beach is big, but to also make it clear that officers really are patrolling and absolutely are issuing warnings.
“We have units blocking the entrances to all the beaches and we have units that continually patrol the 2 ½ miles of Boca Beach front,” said Boca Raton Police Spokesman Mark Economou. “They start at one end go all the way down and return, throughout the entire day. We have given multiple verbal warnings for those we see to leave the beach and all comply.”
For the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office — which has a huge coverage area — the story is the same. Officers are patrolling, they just can’t be everywhere at once.
As we pointed out over the past week, technology is also not friendly to those hoping to enjoy fun and sun on quiet beaches.
There are beach cams up and down the coast line — many streaming a live view to the world, but some just to private homes who are taking screen shots and sending them to media and law enforcement.
Bottom line: police are patrolling, issuing warnings and prepared to do more if people do not comply.
Beach openings are not a part of “Phase One” in Palm Beach County.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Delray Beach Police Officer Arrested
- IT’S ALIVE: Hurricane Hunter Finds Circulation In System Near Florida
- Lotus Boca Raton Homeowner Sued For Spreading Rumors About Neighbor
- Palm Beach County COVID Hospitalizations Jump
- FLORIDA: Tropical Depression Now Likely To Form
- DeSantis Again Declares Victory Over CDC Cruise Restrictions
- HURRICANE CENTER: Tropical Depression Likely To Form Within Days Near Florida
- Boca Raton Woman Drives Without Tire, FaceTimes During DUI Stop
- Fort Lauderdale Airport Again At Capacity, Off-Site Parking Opens