DELRAY BEACH, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Don’t expect your local police force to be responding with lights and sirens to reports of people without facial coverings or restaurants that aren’t social distancing.
After receiving several reports of restaurants on Atlantic Avenue in Delray Beach blatantly violating social distancing rules set by the State of Florida and Palm Beach County, we reached out to Delray Beach Police to ask what enforcement looks like.
A consistent report received by BocaNewsNow.com: Delray Beach Police officers are ignoring quite visible violations.
Delray Beach Police spokesman Ted White offered this:
”The DBPD is encouraging social distancing. We are asking for compliance over enforcement. Now that we are into phase one, the restrictions on mask wearing have been removed. For now, it is strongly suggested that people wear them. Officers are still wearing masks when they make contact with the public. ”
White did not respond specifically to reports of restaurant issues — or how Delray Beach is responding when officers see tables, or people, too close together.
In Boca Raton, police spokesman Mark Economou reiterated that facial coverings are a request, not a requirement.
“We respond to calls if alerted,” said Economou. “We treat each case on an individual basis. The emergency order in Boca Raton regarding face maks is just a recommendation to wear them.”
As for retail and restaurants: “for the most part, that would be referred to code enforcement in the city.”
A quick check of the Palm Beach County Clerk’s Office online database does not reveal any citations issued for social distancing violations in South Palm Beach County.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Area Veterinarian Pleads Guilty To Taping Self Being Intimate With Dog
- Fire, Identify, Publicly Ridicule Unvaccinated: Here’s What Florida Readers Are Saying
- FUNERAL HOME ERROR: Lists Boca Raton Man As Single, Was Actually Married
- PALM BEACH COUNTY: COVID Positivity Soars To 16.4 Percent
- MASK MANDATES RETURN IN REGION
- B’Nai Torah Boca Raton Camp Closes, Kids COVID-19 Positive
- Broward Schools Approve Mask Mandate, Palm Beach County Next?
- Local Lobster Mini-Season Diver Dies
- Florida’s Unvaccinated Adults Are The Problem, 12K COVID Cases Monday