DELRAY BEACH, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Don’t expect your local police force to be responding with lights and sirens to reports of people without facial coverings or restaurants that aren’t social distancing.
After receiving several reports of restaurants on Atlantic Avenue in Delray Beach blatantly violating social distancing rules set by the State of Florida and Palm Beach County, we reached out to Delray Beach Police to ask what enforcement looks like.
A consistent report received by BocaNewsNow.com: Delray Beach Police officers are ignoring quite visible violations.
Delray Beach Police spokesman Ted White offered this:
”The DBPD is encouraging social distancing. We are asking for compliance over enforcement. Now that we are into phase one, the restrictions on mask wearing have been removed. For now, it is strongly suggested that people wear them. Officers are still wearing masks when they make contact with the public. ”
White did not respond specifically to reports of restaurant issues — or how Delray Beach is responding when officers see tables, or people, too close together.
In Boca Raton, police spokesman Mark Economou reiterated that facial coverings are a request, not a requirement.
“We respond to calls if alerted,” said Economou. “We treat each case on an individual basis. The emergency order in Boca Raton regarding face maks is just a recommendation to wear them.”
As for retail and restaurants: “for the most part, that would be referred to code enforcement in the city.”
A quick check of the Palm Beach County Clerk’s Office online database does not reveal any citations issued for social distancing violations in South Palm Beach County.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- No Masks At Salt 7 Delray, We Were Told To Call Back During The Week
- Delray Beach Woman’s “Bumping” Leads To Battery On Senior Charge
- GL Homes Sued By HOA, Alleges Violation Of Florida Building Code
- COVID Hospitalizations Again Rising In Florida, Palm Beach County
- One Killed In Yamato Road Crash, Golf Cart Vs. Car
- UPDATE: Palm Beach County School District Explains FSA Requirement, Order
- CRITICAL CRASH: Yamato Road Closed, Car Hits Golf Cart
- BREAKING: FSA’S Do Not Count, State Says Mandatory Tests Not Required For Promotion
- Police Arrest 12-Year-Old For School Bomb Threat