UNCLEAR WHETHER FLORIDA SPIKE IS DUE TO INCREASED TESTING OR INCREASED EXPOSURE
UPDATE: 2:36 p.m.: The data was just released and shows a 4.45 percent positivity rate. That brings the five day State of Florida positivity rate to 4.48 percent.
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The State of Florida incurred one of its single largest increase in new COVID-19 infections Wednesday, but is seemingly withholding its “percent positive” rate, making true analysis of the spike impossible for now.
The percent positive rate shows how many people have tested positive for COVID-19 on a given day versus the number of tests logged on that given day.
The spike could be as simple as a massive increase in tests logged by the health department. Or, it could signal a significant turn in the wrong direction.
The new case count is greater than 1200 according to the Florida Department of Health’s daily dashboard. The exact number has not yet been released. There have only been a few days over the past few months were more than 1200 new confirmed COVID-19 infections were logged.
Normally, the “new case count” is released simultaneously with data on every test conducted. That provides for analysis of what the spike truly means. That did not happen Thursday morning.
The total case count in Florida is now 48,675. The death count is 2,096.
In Palm Beach County, the infected case count is at least 4,968. The death count has passed 300 — it’s now 308.
Notably, the “percent positive” rate IS available for Palm Beach County Thursday and shows a significant increase from the day before.
The Wednesday, May 20th percent positive rate is listed as 5.6-percent. It was 1.5-percent on Tuesday, May 19th. Statistics are traditionally released a day after they are recorded.
BocaNewsNow.com has been attempting to focus on a five day “percent positive” statistic as we believe that provides a more accurate look at trends. The 5-day percent positive rate in Palm Beach County for May 20th (the most recent complete day) is 6.58 percent. The 5-day-average was 5.62 on on May 19th.
Again for clarity: of all the tests logged on May 20th, 6.58 percent were positive in Palm Beach County. Statewide numbers were not released.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- COVID-19: DUI Arrests Surge As Phase 3 Begins, Boca, Delray, Boynton Bars Reopen
- DESANTIS DELUSIONAL? Florida Passes 14K Deaths, Approaches 700,000 COVID Infections
- West Boca Man, Charged With Stalking, Says “Current Marriage Is A Joke”
- DEADLY DECISION? Phase Three Happening, Palm Beach County Masking Continues, Other Orders Lifting
- DESANTIS: PHASE 3 NOW STATEWIDE, LOCAL RULES LARGELY DON’T MATTER
- CODE ENFORCEMENT: We Have Every COVID-19 Inspection In Boca Raton, Read The Reports
- Palm Beach County Says Bars Can Open Sooner Than Expected
- Boca Raton’s Jill Davis Charged With DUI, Nearly Three Times Legal Limit
- Boca Raton’s Timothy Werner Refuses DUI Test, Jailed