BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Source: Drowning Prevention Coalition of Palm Beach County Verbatim) — The Drowning Prevention Coalition (DPC) of Palm Beach County encourages all recreational boaters to follow safe boating and water smart practices this holiday weekend. Please don’t become a statistic. Use the following water safety recommendations while recreational boating.
1. Wear a life jacket. Make sure everyone is wearing a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
2. Never boat under the influence. BUI is a factor in one-third of all recreational boating fatalities.
- Check equipment. Make sure you have and know how to use all essential equipment.
- File a float plan. Let family and friends know where you’re going and when you will return.
- Use an engine cutoff device. An engine cutoff device is a proven safety device to stop the boat’s engine should the operator unexpectedly fall overboard.
- Watch the weather. Always check the forecast before departing and frequently during your excursion.
- Know what’s going on around you at all times. A quarter of all reported boating accidents in 2019 were caused by operator inattention or improper lookout.
- Know where you’re going and travel at safe speeds. Familiarize yourself with local boating speed zones, and maintain a safe speed.
- Keep in touch. Cell phones, satellite phones, Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) or personal locator beacon, and VHF radios can all be important devices in an emergency.
- Social distancing. Stay six feet apart, wash your hands frequently, and wear a mask until you’re out on the water away from others.
Providing supervision, never swimming alone, always wearing a life jacket are primary factors in preventing boating related injuries. Enjoy the holiday, but remember to pay attention to drowning prevention.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- DEADLY DECISION? Phase Three Happening, Palm Beach County Masking Continues, Other Orders Lifting
- DESANTIS: PHASE 3 NOW STATEWIDE, LOCAL RULES LARGELY DON’T MATTER
- CODE ENFORCEMENT: We Have Every COVID-19 Inspection In Boca Raton, Read The Reports
- Palm Beach County Says Bars Can Open Sooner Than Expected
- Boca Raton’s Jill Davis Charged With DUI, Nearly Three Times Legal Limit
- Boca Raton’s Timothy Werner Refuses DUI Test, Jailed
- Boca Raton’s Moise Gadoury Jailed, Didn’t Register As Sex Offender
- NUMBER GAMES? COVID-19 Deaths High In Florida As DOH Says Positivity Low
- COVID-19 INFECTION: Boynton Elementary Student First In School District To Test Positive