BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Source: Boca Raton Fire Rescue Verbatim Advisory) — On Thursday September 3, 2020 at 2:45pm, the Boca Raton Fire Department was dispatched to a swimmer in distress off the Boca Raton inlet jetty.
First Units to arrive on scene were told by witness a male, approx. 25 years old, jumped of the jetty on the north side of the inlet to try to swim across. Due to the fast-outgoing tide and strong current, the swimmer was quickly pulled out to sea, Retired Boca Raton Ocean Rescue Captain, Tim Fry, who happened to be on scene, visually located the swimmer approx. 300 yards off, but he was already too far out in dangerous waters for a swim rescue. A joint effort between, Ocean Rescue, Boca Raton Fire Rescue- Boat 3 and Police Department Marine units, the swimmer was located and picked up approximately 500 yards off the coast of the inlet. “Palm Beach County Sherriff’s Helicopter and Coast Guard were immediately notified to assist, but we were able to cancel them due to the accurate information from the witnesses and great coordination and communication between FD, PD and Ocean Rescue”, said Captain Jason Owens of Boca Raton Fire Rescue’s Boat 3 Unit.
The swimmer was evaluated by Paramedics on scene and released, with no injuries, to Boca Raton PD for questioning.
Boca Raton Fire Rescue Services, Police Services and Ocean Rescue reminds everyone this holiday weekend to be safe on the water.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- POLICE: Boca Raton Man Claimed Girlfriend Had Knife, Pills, So Batters Her To Save Her
- FAU Henderson University School Ranked Second In USA For K-5
- Woman Slips On Pool Deck, Sues Boca’s Broken Sound Country Club
- HURRICANE CENTER: Keep An Eye On Growing System East Of Florida
- FEDS: Local Man, “Dandy Daddy,” Sentenced To Eight Years In Prison
- Flanigan’s Boca Raton Cited For Flying Insects
- GAS LEAK: Airport Road In Boca Raton Closed
- STRAIGHT OUTTA KINGS POINT: Stalking, Murder Threat Charges Filed
- COVID Cases Rise In Palm Beach County School District