BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Source: Boca Raton Fire Rescue Verbatim Advisory) — On Thursday September 3, 2020 at 2:45pm, the Boca Raton Fire Department was dispatched to a swimmer in distress off the Boca Raton inlet jetty.
First Units to arrive on scene were told by witness a male, approx. 25 years old, jumped of the jetty on the north side of the inlet to try to swim across. Due to the fast-outgoing tide and strong current, the swimmer was quickly pulled out to sea, Retired Boca Raton Ocean Rescue Captain, Tim Fry, who happened to be on scene, visually located the swimmer approx. 300 yards off, but he was already too far out in dangerous waters for a swim rescue. A joint effort between, Ocean Rescue, Boca Raton Fire Rescue- Boat 3 and Police Department Marine units, the swimmer was located and picked up approximately 500 yards off the coast of the inlet. “Palm Beach County Sherriff’s Helicopter and Coast Guard were immediately notified to assist, but we were able to cancel them due to the accurate information from the witnesses and great coordination and communication between FD, PD and Ocean Rescue”, said Captain Jason Owens of Boca Raton Fire Rescue’s Boat 3 Unit.
The swimmer was evaluated by Paramedics on scene and released, with no injuries, to Boca Raton PD for questioning.
Boca Raton Fire Rescue Services, Police Services and Ocean Rescue reminds everyone this holiday weekend to be safe on the water.
LOCAL JOURNALISM SUPPORTER.
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- HURRICANE CENTER: Tropics Busy Again, Tropical Depression Forming West Of Florida
- Boynton Beach Man Hits, Kills Man In Wheelchair, According To Police
- South Florida Renters Need More Than $100K Salary Says New FAU Report
- Palm Beach County Public Schools Closed Monday
- HURRICANE CENTER: Three Systems Now Watched West, East Of Florida
- Crash Completely Closes I-95 Southbound At Hillsboro Blvd.
- Former Seven Bridges Delray Beach Bartender Arrested Twice In One Week
- DELAYS: I-95 To Close In Boca Raton, Several Detours Set For Delray, Boyton, Boca Raton
- Tropical Depression Forms East Of Florida As Another System Starts To Develop