NO IMMEDIATE RESPONSE FROM PALM BEACH COUNTY. LOCAL NEWS CONFERENCE SET FOR LATER TODAY.
UPDATE: 4:08 PM — Palm Beach County Mayor David Kerner says the Phase 3 decision means that the State of Florida is no longer involved in the regulation of anything COVID-related in Palm Beach County. “There will not be any business that is not allowed to be in operation in Palm Beach County,” said Kerner. “Every business will have the right to operate starting today.”
The Phase 3 announcement does NOT affect the mask requirement in Palm Beach County. It continues.
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Florida Governor Ron DeSantis — just hours after sending a tweet in praise of President Donald Trump — announced that ALL of Florida is moving to phase 3, effective immediately. It is unclear whether local counties can override his announcement. DeSantis says that restaurants and retail, effective immediately, can not be stopped from opening with at least 50 percent occupancy.
Here’s the initial announcement from DeSantis. The complete media release is below. Palm Beach County Mayor David Kerner is expected to hold a news conference later today. Palm Beach County — at least on paper — remains in a modified Phase 2 reopening plan.
“Today, at The Birchwood hotel in St. Petersburg, Governor Ron DeSantis announced that the state will move to Phase 3 of his “Safe. Smart. Step-by- Step. Plan” for Re-Opening Florida, including allowing restaurants to operate at full capacity, effective immediately.
There will no longer be operational limitations enforced by the State of Florida. He further explained that his Executive Order, coming out later today, will prohibit local municipalities from restricting the re-opening of businesses. They must be allowed to operate at least at 50% capacity, regardless of local rule.
Governor DeSantis highlighted that the restaurant industry is difficult to succeed in with thin margins, and there have been devastating effects from COVID-19 shutdowns on operators and their employees since March.”
FREE! SUBSCRIBE TO BOCANEWSNOW.COM
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- UPDATE: DISTANCE LEARNING COULD END IN JANUARY, PALM BEACH SCHOOLS ISSUES STATEMENT
- Florida Dept. of Ed. Calls Rumor Of “Distance Learning” Ending “False Narrative”
- FLORIDA COVID: 5,489 New Infections Reported, Highest One Day Total In Weeks
- HURRICANE CENTER: New System Could Affect South Florida
- INCREASE: Now 129 COVID-19 Cases In Palm Beach County Schools
- Vice Mayor Robert Weinroth Announces Increased Funding For Park Rangers
- Camera Off May Mean “Absent” In Palm Beach County Schools
- Wendy Sartory Link, Palm Beach Elections Supervisor, Won’t Answer Mail-In Ballot Questions
- PALM BEACH COUNTY: More Than 33,000 People File Official Records Online, Setting Record