Ignore Texts From 561-486-3649.
BY: STAFF REPORT | BocaNewsNow.com
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2021 MetroDesk Media, LLC) (News App readers click here for the full report) — A text apparently being sent en masse today to cell phones in Palm Beach County is unsolicited and should be ignored.
The sending number — 561-486-3649 — leads to the recording of a woman’s voice offering credit repair services, reduced fee real estate purchase options, student loan consolidation, and help if you own the government money. The text message being sent: “2 room places are ready for anyone making at least 1270 a month own. Text HE6 to begin.”
We attempted to be connected to a “live operator” but were told that representatives only speak with people in the United States. We were calling from a 561 area code telephone number.
Unsolicited texts are illegal under Federal law. Several lawsuits are pending — including one against a Boca Raton salon — for allegedly illegally sending text messages in an effort to generate business. The fine can run $1500 per message — which means a mass text campaign can easily face penalties in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Several Boca Raton area restaurants, businesses and service providers have taken to unsolicited texting as a way to solicit business in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. There is no exception. These texts are illegal.
If you receive an unsolicited text, don’t respond. Instead, report it to the Federal Trade Commission. Use this link to file a complaint.
Also let us know so we can share it with our readers. Use the form below. If you are reading in a news app and the form does not appear, just click here.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- FLORIDA SETS RECORD: 21,683 COVID CASES RECORDED ON FRIDAY
- Delray Beach Man Allegedly Held Knife To Wife, False Imprisonment Charge
- Heading To Airport? Yet Again, Fort Lauderdale Parking Is Packed
- EXCEPTIONALLY BAD: Florida Department Health COVID Report Is Dire
- Publix Mask Mandate Returns, Associates For Now, Customer Decision Pending
- CDC: PALM BEACH COUNTY POSITIVITY NOW 18 PERCENT
- Palm Beach County Clerk Now Mandates Masks At All Locations
- EXECUTIVE ORDER: DESANTIS BANS MASKS, THREATENS SCHOOL FUNDING
- PALM BEACH COUNTY: Parents Fear Masked Kids Will Be Bullied In School