Latest COVID-Related Lawsuit Against Boca Raton Area Condo Association.
BY: ANDREW COLTON | Editor and Publisher
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2021 MetroDesk Media, LLC) (News App readers click here for full report) — A condominium owner at “Palmetto Place at Mizner Park” is suing the Condominium Association over $5000 in fines she received for allegedly not wearing a facial covering in the building.
BocaNewsNow.com first reported — exclusively — on the controversy when it started on November 25th. You can read our original coverage here. Barbara Engelke, preparing to sell her unit, was told she couldn’t sell the unit until she paid the Condo Association $5100.
“If the association does not remove this from the estoppel certificate, or if they try to impose and enforce a fine, I will sue,” she told BocaNewsNow.com in November. “The condo association has had eight months to enact a rule requiring facial coverings and to have the community vote on the rule. It did not.”
That is the core of the issue. According to the lawsuit, the association never enacted a rule with a fining schedule.
From the just-filed suit: “Despite the fact that the Rules and Regulations contain no such (masking) requirement, the (Palmetto Place Condo Association) sought to impose a continuing fine against (Ms. Engelke) from a continuing violation of the non-existent rule and regulation that allegedly occurred on 41 occasions.”
This is the latest lawsuit against Palmetto Place over COVID-19 enforcement measures. The condo association —and the management company — are accused of false imprisonment for allegedly attempting to force a COVID-19 positive couple to stay in their unit for several weeks. Read that lawsuit here.
The masking lawsuit is below. If you are reading in a news app and the suit does not appear, just click here for full access.Palmetto-Place-Mask-Suit
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Boca Raton’s Victoria Boettcher Jailed On DUI, “Almost Hit House”
- Boca Raton Marriott, In Prom Controversy, Was Subject Of COVID Complaint
- NEW FLORIDA COVID PROBLEMS: Area Hospitals Filling Again
- FAU Student Wins $10K For Boating App
- Boca High, Don Estridge Highest COVID Infections In South Palm Beach County
- Boca Raton’s Steven Pollachek Jailed On DUI Charge, Twice Legal Limit
- Threatening To Stab Husband, Boca Raton Woman Jailed
- Marriott Not Commenting On COVID Prom At Boca Center
- Murder-Suicide At Local Hampton Inn, Child Found Asleep, Body In Car On I-95