Goal: Keep Bicyclists Alive While Reducing Strain, Stress On Motorists.
BY: STAFF REPORT | BocaNewsNow.com
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2021 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — It is a frequent occurrence in Palm Beach County. You’re driving on Lyons Road. Or Yamato. Or West Palmetto Park. And suddenly a hoard of bicyclists moves into the road as if the spandex-clad weekend athletes own it.
Those days are over.
Florid Senate Bill 950 is now in effect, and it’s being hailed by Palm Beach County Vice Mayor Robert Weinroth.
“As vice chairman of the Palm Beach Transportation Planning Agency (TPA), our county has committed to “Vision Zero,” which strives to reduce the fatalities on our roadways, and these new laws are a step in the right direction,” said Weinroth.
The goal: keep bicyclists alive. But at the same time, make driving a little easier for motorists who aren’t expecting middle-aged bicyclist gang to surround their car.
Effective now, the following rules, regulations and requirements are in effect for bicyclists in Florida. Law enforcement can ticket those who violate. While motorists must continue to be responsible for driving safely and not creating a hazardous condition for bicyclists, there is now a burden on the bicyclists to obey traffic rules.
Motorists are allowed to safely pass cyclists in no passing zones.
Bicyclists must ride single file in narrow bike lanes and two abreast in wider lanes.
Cyclists are required to stop at stop signs.
Motor vehicles must allow one group of 10 cyclists to travel through an intersection.
Additional test questions related to bicycle and pedestrian safety will be on driver’s test.
The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles will be required to provide a public awareness campaign informing motorists about the required safety precautions.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- B’Nai Torah Boca Raton Camp Closes, Kids COVID-19 Positive
- Broward Schools Approve Mask Mandate, Palm Beach County Next?
- Local Lobster Mini-Season Diver Dies
- Florida’s Unvaccinated Adults Are The Problem, 12K COVID Cases Monday
- Boca’s Fit Foodz, Quates Mexican Restaurant Both Warned By Health Inspector
- Miami Beach Assault Leads To Massive Haul Of Guns In Broward County
- Palm Beach County School Board Members Silent On Mask Mandates
- Seven Bridges Homeowner Sentenced To Six Years In Federal Prison
- CDC Says All School Students Should Wear Masks Indoors, School District Ignores