Claims She Is Powerless To Do Anything About Police Officer Invoking “Marsy’s Law” After Chasing Teen Who Died.
BY: STAFF REPORT | BocaNewsNow.com
BOYNTON BEACH, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2022 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — The Boynton Beach City Manager Wednesday released a memo to the public, explaining what she can and can not do when it comes to firing a police officer.
At issue, the late December death of a teen fleeing a police officer on a motorbike. The 13-year-old boy crashed into a median on US 1 and died. Boynton Beach Police, claiming the officer has received threats, is invoking “Marsy’s Law” which shields the officer’s name from release. BocaNewsNow.com, and now the Sun Sentinel, have raised issues with a police officer invoking Marsy’s Law which was designed to protect victims. At issue, is a police officer — on duty and on a public payroll — really a victim if he or she takes questionable action in an official capacity?
Now, Boynton Beach City Manager Lori LaVerriere, under fire to fire the officer, just issued a memorandum claiming that she can’t do anything at this time. The Florida Highway Patrol investigation continues into the crash, and an internal affairs investigation can not be completed — she claims — until the crash case is closed.
Read the memo, below.
LOCAL JOURNALISM SUPPORTER.
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Fire Burning Cascade Lakes Boynton Beach
- South Palm Beach County Killer In Custody According To Police
- This Man Is A Predator, Police Say He’s In Boynton Beach
- Delray Beach Woman Allegedly Attacks Nephew’s Girlfriend With Broom, Jailed
- Boca Raton, Boynton Beach, Delray Beach 2024 Sping Graduation Dates Announced
- Another South Florida Resident Guilty For January 6th Insurrection At Capitol
- Boca Raton Teacher To Be “Un-Fired” As School Board Rescinds Termination
- We Know What A Woman Tried To Steal From Macy’s Boca Raton
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Major Problems Expected This Week In Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Boynton