Man Allegedly Drove Around Lowering Gates, Was Smashed, Killed.
BY: STAFF REPORT | BocaNewsNow.com
BOYNTON BEACH, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2022 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — A Boynton Beach man is dead after apparently circumventing lowering train gates as a Brightline Train approached Friday evening.
The Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office says Layfun Moore, Jr., of NW 3rd Avenue in Boynton Beach, was traveling eastbound on Washington Avenue in a 2017 Cadillac XTS around 6:49 p.m. At the same time, a Brightline Train was traveling northbound.
As the train approached, according to investigators, Moore circumvented the lowering gates — gates that had lights flashing and bells ringing — and attempted to cross the tracks in his car before the train entered the intersection. He failed.
“Immediately upon entering the railroad crossing,” said investigators to BocaNewsNow.com, “(Moore’s car) was struck by the Brightline Train. During the collision, the front of the train impacted the passenger side of the Cadillac, before throwing the Cadillac off the railroad crossing in a northwesterly direction where it came to final rest on the west side of the railroad tracks, north of the area of impact.”
The train was brought to a controlled rest. Emergency responders pronounced Moore dead at the scene. No passengers were injured, and no charges have been filed against Brightline Engineer Shannon McCray of Palm Bay, Florida.
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Air Traffic Slowed Along Eastern Seaboard, Balloon To Be Shot Down
- TRIAL SET IN SEVEN BRIDGES DELRAY BEACH CASE, MAGISTRATE BLASTS HOA ATTORNEYS
- Shooting In Boca Reserve Not Criminal, According To Police
- Boca Raton Woman Faces Six Years In Federal Prison On Illegal Boating Indictment
- Boca Raton Man, On Moped, Killed In Crash
- Jewish Man Ordered Off Delta Flight From Fort Lauderdale To NYC Over Hat
- MAN SAYS HE WAS SHOT IN HEAD BEHIND AURA APARTMENTS IN BOCA RATON
- Delray Beach Woman Charged With Neglect After Toddler Abused, Images Uploaded
- Boca Raton Man Tries To Avoid, But Kills, Hollywood Man Illegally Crossing Street