BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — If you were planning a beach trip this afternoon, you might want to think twice as the National Weather Service has issued a series of warning all having to do with Tropical Storm Sean. While the storm will have no direct impact on the area, the waters are extremely rough and — according to the weather service — dangerous.
Here’s the NWS report:
..HIGH SURF ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EST THIS EVENING... ...RIP CURRENT RISK REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING... * TIMING...TROPICAL STORM SEAN OVER THE WESTERN ATLANTIC WATERS WILL CONTINUE TO BRING GUSTY NORTH WINDS... LARGE SWELL... HIGH SURF... BREAKING WAVES... MINOR BEACH EROSION... AND MINOR COASTAL FLOODING TO THE PALM BEACH COAST AT LEAST THROUGH THIS EVENING. * IMPACTS...DANGEROUS SURF AND RIP CURRENTS WILL BE AN ONGOING THREAT. MINOR BEACH EROSION AND MINOR COASTAL FLOODING ARE ALSO POSSIBLE... ESPECIALLY ALONG THE PALM BEACHES DURING HIGH TIDE AROUND 7 PM THIS EVENING. BREAKING WAVES AROUND 10 FEET ARE EXPECTED ALONG THE PALM BEACH COAST. THE LARGE POUNDING SURF WILL MAKE THE SURF ZONE VERY DANGEROUS. ENTERING THE WATER IS NOT ADVISED. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A HIGH SURF ADVISORY MEANS THAT HIGH SURF WILL AFFECT BEACHES IN THE ADVISORY AREA...PRODUCING RIP CURRENTS AND LOCALIZED BEACH EROSION. THERE IS ALSO A HIGH RISK OF STRONG AND DANGEROUS RIP CURRENTS. RIP CURRENTS ARE POWERFUL CHANNELS OF WATER FLOWING QUICKLY AWAY FROM SHORE...WHICH OCCUR MOST OFTEN AT LOW SPOTS OR BREAKS IN THE SANDBAR AND IN THE VICINITY OF STRUCTURES SUCH AS JETTIES AND PIERS. HEED THE ADVICE OF LIFEGUARDS AND THE BEACH PATROL. PAY ATTENTION TO FLAGS AND POSTED SIGNS. IF YOU BECOME CAUGHT IN A RIP CURRENT...DO NOT PANIC. REMAIN CALM AND BEGIN TO SWIM PARALLEL TO SHORE. ONCE YOU ARE AWAY FROM THE FORCE OF THE RIP CURRENT...BEGIN TO SWIM BACK TO THE BEACH. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SWIM DIRECTLY AGAINST A RIP CURRENT. EVEN A STRONG SWIMMER CAN BECOME EXHAUSTED QUICKLY.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- FLORIDA COVID: State Adds 10,699 New Coronavirus Cases, 98 Deaths
- NO SCHOOL FRIDAY: Palm Beach County Public Schools Closed For Students
- Palm Beach Schools Added 84 COVID Cases Since Thanksgiving Break
- New Jersey Man Jailed, Allegedly Punched Boca Man On Federal Highway
- POLICE: Body Found In West Delray Beach Bushes, Investigation Underway
- DESANTIS: Florida Will Vaccinate Nursing Home Residents Before Healthcare Workers
- FROM BAD TO WORSE: Florida Logs 9,920 COVID Cases On Tuesday
- Facial Covering Order Extended In Palm Beach County
- Emotional Support Animals No Longer Considered “Service Animals,” DOT Institutes New Rules