BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Good news this morning from Florida Atlantic University, which is being honored by a major educational magazine for the number of minority students earning medical related degrees from the school. Here is the official announcement from FAU:
Florida Atlantic University has been ranked nationally for conferring degrees in health professions and related programs to minority students, according to a new special survey in the latest issue of Diverse: Issues in Higher Education magazine, a magazine published bi-weekly that informs leaders from academe, industry and public policy about current trends and issues that are going on in the United States.
For their annual special report on health science, Diverse ranked the top 100 producers of associate, bachelor’s and graduate degrees for health professions and related programs awarded to minority students. Rankings were based on degrees conferred during the 2009-10 academic year and research conducted by Victor M.H. Borden, Ph.D., professor of educational leadership and policy studies at Indiana University Bloomington.
“We are very pleased to see FAU has climbed in the rankings of this survey,” said FAU Provost Brenda Claiborne, Ph.D. “We will continue to work to attract minority populations and ensure our student body, as well as our community at large, benefits from a diverse workforce educated in the health profession and related fields.”
FAU ranked seventh nationally in its total number of undergraduate health profession and related degrees conferred to African-American students, increasing 31 percent from the previous 2008-09 academic year. For graduate degrees in the same category, FAU rose 42 percent. FAU also saw an increase of 118 percent in the amount of Hispanic students earning graduate degrees in the same field.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Teachers: No Organized Walkout Planned Over Masking Battle
- FLORIDA SETS RECORD: 21,683 COVID CASES RECORDED ON FRIDAY
- Delray Beach Man Allegedly Held Knife To Wife, False Imprisonment Charge
- Heading To Airport? Yet Again, Fort Lauderdale Parking Is Packed
- EXCEPTIONALLY BAD: Florida Department Health COVID Report Is Dire
- Publix Mask Mandate Returns, Associates For Now, Customer Decision Pending
- CDC: PALM BEACH COUNTY POSITIVITY NOW 18 PERCENT
- Palm Beach County Clerk Now Mandates Masks At All Locations
- EXECUTIVE ORDER: DESANTIS BANS MASKS, THREATENS SCHOOL FUNDING