BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Be careful when you answer your door, at least if not expecting the knock. Boca Raton Police tell us that there have been a number of “distraction schemes” over the past few months. Here’s their media release:
/Over the last several months, five different residents of the City of Boca Raton have become victims of distraction schemes. The most recent crime happened on Wednesday, December 28th in the Estate Section of Boca Raton.
The victim, who lives in the 2100 block of Banyan Road, answered her door at about 2:30 in the afternoon and was greeted by a man who said he was doing work on her neighbor’s fence. The man told the victim he needed her to show him the property line so the fence would be in the right area. The victim told police the man was very convincing so she met him in the backyard of her residence. The victim said that for several minutes he spoke Spanish with someone on his cell phone. After about 10 minutes, he told her he had to leave and that he would be in touch. When the victim went inside her house, she saw that it had been burglarized and several thousand dollars worth of jewelry and silver had been stolen. The victim immediately called Boca Raton Police.
In three of the previous distraction burglaries, the suspect also convinced the victims to accompany him into their backyard while an accomplice burglarized the house, taking cash, credit cards, and jewelry. Deerfield Beach has also experienced three similar crimes in the past several weeks, the most recent one occurred less than two hours after the one yesterday in Boca Raton. In the most recent Deerfield Beach cases, the suspect was described as a heavyset Hispanic male and two heavyset white males, driving a newer model, silver, four-door Cadillac.
Unfortunately, crimes of this sort are not uncommon in South Florida. The Boca Raton Police Department encourages people to remain vigilant, never leave your doors unlocked and always ask for proper identification when dealing with workers at your home, or before allowing anyone you don’t know into your home./
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- DESANTIS: Florida Will Vaccinate Nursing Home Residents Before Healthcare Workers
- FROM BAD TO WORSE: Florida Logs 9,920 COVID Cases On Tuesday
- Facial Covering Order Extended In Palm Beach County
- Emotional Support Animals No Longer Considered “Service Animals,” DOT Institutes New Rules
- SELLER’S MARKET! Palm Beach County House Sales Soar, Inventory Drops
- BOCA: Man Attempts To Carjack Rolls Royce, And Take Owner’s Girlfriend
- Boca Raton Police Jail Man For Carjacking, Kidnapping
- It’s HOA Budget Time, Let Us Know If Anything Is Questionable, Illegal, Scandalous
- DRAMA: iPIC Boca Raton Sued For Astronomical Unpaid Rent Bill