BOCA RATON, FL (Boca Raton, FL) — Incredible story from Boca Raton Police who have made an arrest in a year old crime thanks to CODIS — the computer system you hear referenced in every episode of CSI, Hawaii 5-0, and pretty much any other TV police show in the last two decades.
Here’s what Boca PD just released:
The crime occurred on September 7, 2011. The victim, Lillian Martinez, had just returned home from shopping and pulled her car into the garage on SW 12th Road. As she got out of her car, a male walked into her garage, mumbled something, and then grabbed the purse she was carrying. After a brief struggle, the purse strap broke and the suspect ran away with the Martinez’s purse. Martinez was not injured.
Boca Raton Police Crime Scene Technicians processed the scene and collected evidence from the exterior of Martinez’s car. The evidence was sent to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office crime lab for DNA analysis. On February 7, 2012 Boca Raton Police detectives received a letter from the CODIS (Combined DNA Index System) Administrator stating the DNA from the exterior of Martinez’s car matched Reache Evans.
Detectives contacted Martinez and showed her a photo line-up. Martinez picked Evans out of the line-up and identified him as the robber. Based on an analysis of the evidence, Boca Raton detectives arrested Evans and charged him with home invasion robbery without a weapon.
(Photo: Reache Evans, PBSO Booking Photo)
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Palm Beach County COVID Hospitalizations Jump
- FLORIDA: Tropical Depression Now Likely To Form
- DeSantis Again Declares Victory Over CDC Cruise Restrictions
- HURRICANE CENTER: Tropical Depression Likely To Form Within Days Near Florida
- Boca Raton Woman Drives Without Tire, FaceTimes During DUI Stop
- Fort Lauderdale Airport Again At Capacity, Off-Site Parking Opens
- FLORIDA COVID DISASTER: CDC Reveals 12K New Cases Wednesday, 60K In Week
- HURRICANE CENTER: System Drifting, Formation Chance Increases
- Boynton Beach Police To Shut Major Road For Investigation