BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com via Boca Raton Fire Rescue Services) — Boca Raton Regional Hospital and Boca Raton Fire Rescue Services hosted “SMART HEART DAY 2012”. Free citywide cholesterol screening with a full lipid profile along with aglucose check and blood pressure screening was held Saturday, March 3rd The from 8 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. at The Fire and Police Services Building located at 6500 Congress Avenue in Boca Raton.
A mini health fair was on site checking BMI waist to hip ratio, stroke risk assessment, and educational material concerning blood pressure, cholesterol, and heart disease was available. Coronary heart disease remains the number one leading cause of death in the U.S. today. High blood cholesterol and high blood pressure are two significant controllable risk factors leading to coronary heart disease due to poor diet and exercise habits. Studies show that a 10-15 percent reduction in an individual’s blood cholesterol level will lead to a 20-30 percent reduction in heart attack risk. Normal cholesterol levels are 200 or less.
The glucose, cholesterol and blood pressure screenings are a component of the “Smart Heart”. Established in 1994 this program helps to bring preventive health education and programs to the community thereby reducing health risks. This is the 18th year that Boca Raton Fire Rescue Services and Boca Raton Regional Hospital are providing this service which over 14,000 residents have taken part. This year community partners included Costco, CVS Pharmacy and N.Y. Life.
Photo: Firefighter/Paramedic Casey Denhard promises “it won’t hurt” (Courtesy Boca Raton Fire Rescue Services).
LOCAL JOURNALISM SUPPORTER.
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Multi-Vehicle Crash At Yamato and Lyons In Boca Raton, Overturned Car
- Boca Raton Trainer Arrested, Charged With DUI After Crash
- Did Boca Raton Woman Really Double Park So She Could Run Into CycleBar?
- HURRICANE CENTER: Watching Developing System East Of Florida, It’s Growing
- Delray Beach Optometrist, Allegedly Driving On BMW Rim, Charged With DUI
- Feeding South Florida’s 5K Set For This Weekend In Palm Beach County
- Cops Nab Car Thief Ring At Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport
- HURRICANE CENTER: Tropical Depression Expected To Form East Of Florida, Watch It
- Shooting In Boca West Country Club Leaves Man Dead