BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The Five Star Premier Residence at 22601 Camino Del Mar in Boca Raton is under a self-imposed quarantine following an outbreak of a gastrointestinal virus. BocaNewsNow.com has learned that several residents were treated at an area hospital for flu-like symptoms. While viruses leading to gastrointestinal issues are not uncommon during the winter months in Florida, they can be very serious for the elderly.
According to Lynn Thaxton, executive director at the facility, the “quarantine” started earlier this week and continues today. Dining services have been curtailed, with residents receiving meals in their apartments.
Tim O’Connor, spokesman for the Palm Beach County Health Department, says officials did not require the quarantine, but suggests that this is an example of the Five Star Premier Residence doing the right thing.
“It’s a precautionary measure,” said O’Connor. “We’re talking about (a facility that is home to some) individuals with compromised immune systems.”
O’Connor said that the Palm Beach County Health Department was notified of the outbreak and that epidemiologists will re-inspect the facility once management believes that the cases have subsided.
While similar, the outbreak is not believed to be ‘noro virus,’ the virus frequently blamed for gastrointestinal issues on cruise ships.
The facility is being sanitized.
Originally known as the “Classic Residences,” the property was acquired by Five Star Senior Living in December of 2011.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- SCARED SCHOOL BOARD: We Obtain Private Email From Member Fearing Gov. DeSantis
- Area Veterinarian Pleads Guilty To Taping Self Being Intimate With Dog
- Fire, Identify, Publicly Ridicule Unvaccinated: Here’s What Florida Readers Are Saying
- FUNERAL HOME ERROR: Lists Boca Raton Man As Single, Was Actually Married
- PALM BEACH COUNTY: COVID Positivity Soars To 16.4 Percent
- MASK MANDATES RETURN IN REGION
- B’Nai Torah Boca Raton Camp Closes, Kids COVID-19 Positive
- Broward Schools Approve Mask Mandate, Palm Beach County Next?
- Local Lobster Mini-Season Diver Dies