BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The Five Star Premier Residence at 22601 Camino Del Mar in Boca Raton is under a self-imposed quarantine following an outbreak of a gastrointestinal virus. BocaNewsNow.com has learned that several residents were treated at an area hospital for flu-like symptoms. While viruses leading to gastrointestinal issues are not uncommon during the winter months in Florida, they can be very serious for the elderly.
According to Lynn Thaxton, executive director at the facility, the “quarantine” started earlier this week and continues today. Dining services have been curtailed, with residents receiving meals in their apartments.
Tim O’Connor, spokesman for the Palm Beach County Health Department, says officials did not require the quarantine, but suggests that this is an example of the Five Star Premier Residence doing the right thing.
“It’s a precautionary measure,” said O’Connor. “We’re talking about (a facility that is home to some) individuals with compromised immune systems.”
O’Connor said that the Palm Beach County Health Department was notified of the outbreak and that epidemiologists will re-inspect the facility once management believes that the cases have subsided.
While similar, the outbreak is not believed to be ‘noro virus,’ the virus frequently blamed for gastrointestinal issues on cruise ships.
The facility is being sanitized.
Originally known as the “Classic Residences,” the property was acquired by Five Star Senior Living in December of 2011.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- DEVELOPING: Palm Beach Schools Distance Learning System Failing
- Burt and Max’s Delray Beach Cited For Mold, Insects
- COVID SPREAD SPEEDS: Florida Positivity Jumps To Highest In Month
- COVID PROBLEMS FLORIDA: Hospitalizations Surging Again
- Staten Island Woman Jailed In Delray Beach
- Another Kings Point Resident Jailed, Alan Gershberg In Custody
- Glades Road Entrance, Exit Closed All Weekend For Turnpike
- Boca Raton Man Arrested Six Times, Now For DUI
- Parkland Man Shot, Killed By Police Identified