BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The area of L.A. Fitness on Technology Way has been somewhat of a hotbed of criminal activity over the past few months, and now Boca Police have made three arrests that will hopefully return the peace and tranquility that Boca folks love.
According to police:
On Thursday, May 24, shortly before 2:00 in the afternoon, officers of Boca Raton Police Department’s Tactical Team were conducting surveillance at LA Fitness, 4950 Technology Way due to a recent increase in burglaries at local gyms.
Officers saw a grey Chevrolet drive slowly through the parking lot, passing several open parking spots near the entrance to the gym. The driver of the car backed into a spot at the eastern end of the parking lot, next to a BMW. As officers watched, a male got out of the rear passenger seat, looked into the BMW and tried to open the driver’s door. The door was locked so the suspect got back into the Chevy and the driver started driving slowly through the parking lot, stopping next to several other vehicles, before officers stopped them.
The female driver, identified as Dunisia Smith, the front passenger, Antonio Shine, and the rear passenger, John Cunningham, all provided false names to officers. Smith told officers they were at LA Fitness looking for jobs, Shine and Cunningham refused to give officers any explanation. When officers searched the car, they found a small amount of marijuana on the front driver’s seat and in the center console, and a metal window punch on the rear seat near where Cunningham was seated. Officers also located rolling papers in Shine’s pants pocket.
Officers arrested Smith, Shine, and Cunningham. Smith is charged with attempted burglary, obstructing an officer, giving a false name, and possession of marijuana. Shine is charged with obstructing an officer, giving a false name, possession of marijuana and paraphernalia, as well as having an outstanding warrant out of Broward County. Cunningham is charged with attempted burglary, obstructing an officer and possession of burglary tools. Cunningham also has five outstanding warrants out of Broward County.
(PHOTO: Dunisia Smith, 9/27/92, Dania, FL)
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Boca Barber Shoots At Customers, Boca Police Trim His Freedom
- LOTS OF DEATH: Florida Again Reporting High COVID Death Numbers, Infections
- COVID: Lynn University Continues “Block” Scheduling Through Spring
- COVID: Palm Beach School Board Member Calls For More Transparency
- COVID: Palm Beach County Schools Report More Cases, But No Outbreak
- PALM BEACH COUNTY: New Phase 3 Orders, Clarifications, Sheriff Ordered To Enforce
- Federal Judge Slaps Delray’s Seven Bridges, Litigants LaGrasso and Tannenholz
- PALM BEACH COUNTY: Reckless Endangerment Charges For Non-Mask Wearers?
- South Florida Attorney Charged By Feds For Wire, Securities Fraud